10

If Sola could hang out with one group of people without being tormented it was the scene kids. They didn’t pay much attention to her but sometimes she would just hang around them during lunch. They didn’t judge people unless they were like Cindy. They hated her they didn’t like how mean she was to everyone.

Another reason Sola liked hanging out with them was because of Paris. Paris was a scene kid who hung out in the group. He was so nice. One time he even stopped Cindy from taunting Sola in the hallway. No one ever defended Sola. When she dropped her books he’d help her pick them up too. He had medium length black hair that was so dark he could’ve dyed it that way. He always wore skinny jeans usually black ones and some sort of a band shirt on top.

Sola wished he liked her. If he did she wasn’t picking up on the signs. Although there was one night at a party back in February she shouldn’t have gone to, but she messed that up big time. She thought it would be funny to crash Cindy’s party that year. It was a really big party so she figured she could dodge Cindy throughout the night. This was really the only party she had ever been to. She wore a long sleeved shirt and jean shorts. She didn’t want people to see her scars and bruises and make fun of her.

She snuck in the back where people were dancing around a closed up pool. She entered the house through the back door. She grabbed a drink and started dancing with some girls she didn’t know. She finished her drink and threw her cup away, she kept dancing; she loved feeling like no one cared who she was. They were excepting her. After a few minutes someone tapped her on the shoulder. Sola spun around and there he was. Paris was standing behind her smiling. He took her hand and started dancing. Sola smiled and danced with him.

“Why are you here?” He asked lowering his hands to her hips.  Sola bite her lip and smiled.

“I guess you could say I crashed the party.” Sola felt badass telling him this but then figured he did the same.

“Well I guess we are together on that one.” He smiled at her again and moved closer. She figured he had. She didn’t expect to see him here but why would you pass up a good party?  After a few songs had passed by Paris took her hand and started leading her somewhere. They went upstairs and into one of the bedrooms. He shut the door behind them.

He started leading her to the bed and they sat down. He lies down on the bed and she lies down next to him. She rolls over onto her side and looks into his eyes. She examines his face. He has very deep blue eyes with green speckles around the pupil. It was the invert of Solas eyes.

“You’re really pretty.” He said to her and smiled. Sola took in a deep breath. No one had ever told her this and this was the guy she liked. She tried to keep from blushing.

“Thanks.” She said. They sit there for what feels like hours, just examining each other. Paris moves in closer as if he is going to whisper something in her ear. He doesn’t, instead he places his lips on hers and holds them there. Sola pulls back. She looked confused. Paris got wide eyed.

“Did you not want me to do that?” Paris asked.

“No, it’s just I didn’t think you liked me.” Sola said.

“Well, how about now?” He smiled and kissed her again. This time she closed her eyes and just let it happen. They pulled apart and sat there smiling for a second. Then the door burst open. It was Cindy. Sola was busted there was no way she was going to let her stay.

“Ewe! Get out of my room you freak!” She yelled.

“Oh come on Cindy it’s a party don’t be a downer.” Paris said.

“I don’t want a freak at my party! Get out of my house right now!” Cindy screamed.

“What are you gunna do call the cops? That would bust you too. You’ve got a few kegs out back I see. How do you explain that to the cops?” Sola said with a smug look on her face.

“Just get out before I get my boyfriend to throw you out of this house like a football. Paris you can stay but she’s leaving.” Cindy waited outside of the bedroom door, Sola started standing up.

“I guess I’ll see you on Monday, later.” Sola said starting to leave.

“Let me drive you home at least.” Sola smiled and nodded her head. He got up and put his arm around her waist. They walked out of the room and down the stairs. They got outside and walked down the road a bit and stopped in front of an old black hearse. He opened the passenger side door and motioned for her to get in. He ran around the front of the car and got in on the other side. He put the key in the ignition, started it and pulled away from the curb.

Sola looked around the car. For being a car that carried dead people it was quite nice. He had made it into more of a normal vehicle on the inside. He looked at her and smiled.

“What kind of music do you like?” He asked.

“I’ll listen to anything really.” She said. He pressed the play button on the radio. Through the speakers came the song Drella by Pierce the Veil. She smiled “You like PTV?” She asked.

“If you don’t I’m kicking you out of this car right now.” He said laughing.

“No, no I love them. I can’t even fall asleep without them.” She said. “God I love this song.” She laid her head back on the seat and closed her eyes.

“Gives you goose bumps doesn’t it?” he asked. Sola bit her lip and smiled with her eyes still closed. “Have you heard their album Selfish Machines? It finally came out on iTunes. It’s great. They have two new members now.”

“Yeah I know, Jamie and Tony. Their good, my favorite song is The Boy Who Could Fly.” Sola said.

“I like that one too, here.” He put on Southern Constellations. It was the intro to The Boy Who Could Fly. He reached over and grabbed her hand. She smiled and closed her eyes again. He pulled over. “I just realized I have no idea where your house is.” He said smiling at her. Sola looked over at him and laughed a little. They stared at each other for a moment. They got closer and their lips touched again. Sola opened her eyes after a few minutes and looked at the clock on the radio. She pulled away.

“Is that really the time?” Paris nodded his head. “I need to get home.” It was almost 3 her mom might be getting home soon. She didn’t want her to realize she was gone this late. She told Paris her address and he pulled onto the road again.

“Why are you in such a hurry all of a sudden?”

“No reason.” Sola said. She didn’t want to explain her life story to him. If her mom figured out she was out late she might tell her dad and he might not like that.

“Sola why aren’t you telling me anything about you. You can’t hide yourself for the rest of your life. You can trust me I won’t judge you like the preps. I like you Sola and I want to be there for you, I mean I try defending you at school and stuff can’t you trust me?” He asked. She looked at his eyes he looked hurt.

“Not right now okay? I’m having some issues and I can’t talk to people about it.” Sola turned and looked out of the window. She didn’t want to cry but she was pushing away the one guy that actually cared about her, or pretended to.

“You can’t talk to people or you won’t? Why don’t you trust me Sola?” He asked again. A tear rolled down Sola’s cheek and landed on her sweater.

“I just can’t okay?” She was starting to get angry. Not just at him but at her life and family. If it hadn’t been so complicated she could’ve stayed out with him and told him everything. But everything was just too damn complicated for her. “Pull over, this is my house. I’ll see you Monday.” She said starting to get out of the car. Paris grabbed her arm. “Let go.” She said. She closed her eyes tightly trying to keep the tears inside. He did and she got out of the car and ran to the door. He watched her with sad eyes and once she slipped inside of the house he drove off.

She felt so stupid. She wanted to tell him but it was too hard for her. She wished she could’ve been less aggressive about it maybe then he would still talk to her. She missed him protecting her at school. She missed his smile and his laugh. One night wasn’t enough for her. She wanted more but her life just can’t have happiness in it.