Prologue

On the twelfth hour of the first of October nineteen eighty-nine, forty-three women around the world gave birth. This was unusual only in the fact that none of these women had been pregnant when the day first began.

    Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and adventurer, resolved to locate and adopt as many of the children as possible. He was able to get Seven of them, but what he didn't know was there was an eighth one born who had been abandoned, yet somehow...

    She managed to survive.

    Someone had found her barely alive in an alleyway, and took her in unaware of what she was capable of.

    The girl was raised as if she were ordinary, but her adoptive mother soon realized that she was far from it.

    While her mother knew nothing of the girl's ability nor did she understand it, she loved and cared for her the best she could anyway... at least until it was too hard for her, so the mother did what she thought was best. She gave her up. Now she had told Hargreeves about the girl, but begged to let her stay with her.

     Reginald reluctantly agreed to the woman's pleas, though he knew she would soon regret it.

    The woman rushed into The Umbrella Academy with the girl, begging for help as she carried the girl in her arms.

    The girl wasn't dead but... something was wrong.

    The children of the Academy, including Number Seven, came quickly with worry, Pogo the Butler, Grace the Caretaker and of course Reginald followed soon after.

    "Please, help her." The woman begged but alas it seemed nothing could be done, but the woman regretfully left the girl in their care, and disappeared.

    As for the girl... she still remains in a comatose state and her sixteen year old self. The girl was officially named Number Eight, but the children, Pogo and Grace, still called her by her given name.

    (Yn) (Ln).