The Day That Was

Five's POV

    They all had arrived where Diego had driven them.

    "I know this Jenkins dude has to have a record." Diego says as he stops the car. "We just gotta get our hands on this file."

    Five had yet to let go of (Yn)'s hand.

    "And your plan is to what? Waltz in there and just ask for it?" Alison asked sarcastically.

    "I know the station like the back of my hand, sis. I've spent a lot of time inside."

    "Handcuffed."

    "Whatever. Here's the plan."

    "Plan?" Five questions, only now letting go of (Yn)'s hand. "I'm just gonna blink in and get the file."

    "No, that's not..." Diego shakes his head. "You don't know the ins and outs of this place, okay?"

    "I literally just did this yesterday." Five said. "

    "What?" (Yn) asked softly, looking at him.

    "My yesterday, not your yesterday. It'll take me two seconds. Why don't I just go?"

    "Listen to me. You are not going in there." Diego says sternly. "I made a call. That's what a leader does. He leads."

    "Five, maybe you should just let Diego do it-" (Yn) mutters.

    Five looks back at her. I just... I want her safe. He sighs softly. "Fine..." He reaches back and grabs her hand again.

    Diego gets out of the car to go meet whoever he had called.

    "I want to call Vanya to try and explain." Alison says.

    "We'll come with." (Yn) says.

    They get out of the car and walk to find a payphone. Once they find one, Alison calls Vanya.

    Five was still holding (Yn)'s hand.

    "Five? Is everything okay?" (Yn) asked him, worriedly.

    He looks at her. "Aside from trying to stop the end of the world, I'm fine. Why are you asking?"

    "Well... it's just that... you've only ever held my hand when you were afraid."

    "What?"

    "Even when we were kids... whenever you held my hand it's because you were afraid, but you didn't want to admit it... why are you so afraid now? We're going to win."

    Five doesn't say anything.

    "... does this have something to do with what is on that paper?"

    Before Five can answer, Alison hangs up the phone with a sigh, and Diego comes back.

    "So?" Five asked.

    Diego holds up the file. "You're welcome."

    Alison snatches the file from Diego. She opens it and starts looking through it. Her eyes widened. "Holy s**t."

    "What?" (Yn) asked.

    Alison turns the file. "Harold Jenkins is Leonard Peabody."

    (Yn)'s eyes widened. "Poor Vanya..."

    "Yeah, real upsetting. Let's go." Five says shortly.

    "F-Five-"

    "(Yn), I do feel bad for Vanya but... there are more important things than her feelings right now."