dream - closer than this

gender neutral
fucked up but still kinda romantic
plot: kidnapped by dream after death, your memories are a bit foggy
warnings: swearing, manipulative dream

Everything was foggy and the sound was muffled as I opened my eyes, trying to sit up. The last thing I remember was everyone celebrating, watching as Tubbo became the new president, and then the deafening silence.

"Y/N?" Tommy looked down at me, a weird look on his face.

"Tommy," I ran over to where he was standing. The edge of the cliff crumbled as he kneeled down towards me.

"You don't look—"

"Did Technoblade do this?" I crawled up onto the grass and stood next to him. "Did he?"

"Y/N, I think you should sit down. You look sick."

"I feel fucking sick! Why would he do—"

Tommy grabbed onto my hands and held them up to my face.

"Oh, holy shit." I looked dull and my skin looked nearly see-through. "Am I dead?"

"You look dead."

"Yeah. Thanks, Tommy." I let out a sigh. The fighting had nearly stopped and Tubbo was gathering people around, making his first statement as the new president. "Where's Wilbur?"

"He died, Phil killed him."

"Well, I'm fucking dead too. So where is he?"

"Maybe you're special? Schlatt didn't come back." Tommy shrugged and started to walk towards Tubbo and the rest of the group.

"Really, you're not going to—" I scoffed as he ignored me.

If Wilbur had come back, he wouldn't have left me. I navigated my way through the debris, looking into each part of the still-standing buildings and looking around the debris. I went to Eret's Tower, where it was still towering over the burning country below it, nearly untouched.

I walked around it until I found Wilbur mumbling to himself.

"Wilbur!" I grabbed onto his arm and pulled him into a hug.

He froze and shook me off of his body, "Please don't touch."

I broke apart from him, "What?"

"Who are you?"

"You're joking? Right? This isn't fucking funny."

He looked like he was about to cry, the tears forming at the edge of his eyes already, "I'm sorry. I don't understand."

"I'm sorry for shouting at you." I tried to focus on my breathing. "What do you remember?"

"I need to go talk to Tommy." He started to mumble to himself as he walked away.

Tommy? Not me? How does he not remember me?

"Y/N?"

I turned to see Dream standing over me, he looked nearly untouched, like he hadn't participated in today's event.

"Can you come with me?"

I was dead. What was the worst that could happen? Dream couldn't kill me twice. I trailed behind him like a lost puppy, as we walked around the outskirts of L'Manburg. "Where are we going?"

"The thing is, Y/N. I didn't expect you to survive—"

"I didn't!" I stopped, standing along the river outside of L'Manburg. "I'm dead."

He stepped in front of me, "But you're not." He lightly touched my shoulder. "You're still here."

I took a step back, "What do you want?"