❤️ Day 11 ❤️

I was so nervous! I was actually going to Hans' shop today. I didn't think I had it in me right now but I knew I was going to see him at the playoffs game. I was eating my cereal slow, thinking about how upset he would be that I didn't visit him sooner.

"Tamara? Are you still going to Hans' place?" asked Tyler.

"Yeah...?" I had to think about it. I mean, this can't be a good idea!

"It's a great idea! I think he will be so surprised to see you, and right before your big playoff game!" said Tyler.

"Yeah?" I said. How did he know what I was thinking?

"You better get dressed and out of the house quick! I heard it's going to snow some more," said Tyler. I nodded and put my dishes away and went upstairs. I put on some black jeans and my favorite teal sweatshirt and trudged down the snow-covered roads of my street. It was only 4 blocks from my house.

When I walked up to the shop my stomach dropped. What will I say? Will he be mad? Should I surprise him with a phone call instead? Ugg! I need to do this. And it's not just because I didn't have time to visit. It's also because all of my best memories with my dad are in there. We used to hang out in his shop and talk about hockey with Hans for hours. I never talk about my dad. He went on a big road trip with his small band and they got in a car crash. My dad didn't make it. His best friend Jerry Lenve didn't make it either. He was in the band. The other two guys did but were seriously injured. People said they swerved when they saw a deer in the road and it was an icy mountain that day. They sang country music together and so at his funeral me and Kelly sang some of his songs. All of a sudden I felt like curling up in a little ball and crying until my eyes bleed. My dad used to say that back in Louisiana where I was born and raised, he used to say when I was a baby I used to cry until my eyes bleed. I started to cry but the snow started rushing in and the cold wind felt like it was burning my wet face. I needed to get to the shop. The wind kept blowing me over but finally, I got to the back of the shop.

"My secret entrance!" I said. Back when I was younger, Hans told me that the back door was my secret entrance. Brings back memories I didn't even know I had? I walked up to the door.

"I can do this, I can do this," I whispered.

I opened the door so quietly so no one could hear me. I half shut it when I spotted Hans sharpening skates. It was loud but I remember when my dad used to do it for a little extra cash now and then. I shut the door but at the end, it squeaked a bit. I flinched but shut it the rest of the way normally.

"Tamara?" said Hans.

"How did you know it was me?" I asked.

"There are only a couple of people who can walk through your secret entrance so sadly," said Hans. I smiled. He wasn't mad! And he didn't forget.

"You remembered?" I asked.

"Of course I did! I remember everything!" said Hans.

"You still have superpowers?" I asked.

"I was born with them? How could they go away?" he said and walked towards me.

"You can walk through the secret entrance like me?" I asked.

"Well, let's see... You, Gordon, and your father," said Hans. I teared up a little bit but I ran over to hug him. We hugged for a minute and then he picked up a skate.

"What do you think? Is this sharp enough?" asked Hans and he ran his finger on the blade of the skate. "Ahh!" he said.

"Come on! Hans you know I don't fall for that anymore! You did that too many times to me when I was a kid!" I said laughing.

"You right! I should trick you another way!" he said while showing me his finger what was not cut.

He walked to the front of the shop so I followed. He walked behind the desk and I followed again. I saw pictures from old newspapers and pictures of me and my family and even some pictures of Coach Bombay.

"How come you didn't tell me that you knew Coach Bombay?" I asked.

"Well, why would I? I didn't know he was going to be your coach when he was little? His dad was just a friend." he said.

"His dad's gone too?" I asked.

"Yes. His dad passed away when he was little. Maybe about your age." Hans said.

"I didn't know?" I said. Hans pointed to some pictures.

"You see this..." he took a picture of the wall. "This is Gordon's father," said Hans. His father was holding a baby in the picture. I pointed to it.

"And that's Coach Bombay," I said.

"No. That's you." Hans said and put the picture up on the wall and picked up another one.

"That was me?" I said.

"Yes... And this is your father and Gordon's father." Hans said.

"They knew each other? How?" I asked.

"Your father and him were great friends. They went to college together and played hockey together. They grew up here just like you. Together, brothers." said Hans. He put the picture back up and grabbed one of me and dad. I almost cried. Hans put his arm on my shoulder.

"Hans?" I asked.

"Yes?" he said.

"I don't know if I can finish the playoffs without him?" I cried.

"Of course you can! You can do anything you want to achieve!" said Hans.

"Thanks but I'm not joking. Ever since he died I haven't felt good enough. I used to really think I was a good player until now. I'm doubting myself every day and my skills or performance or just hockey in general. Hockey is one of the only things that make me happy but lately, I've just been doubting whether or not he's proud of me?" I say. Hans paused for a moment.

"Your dad is proud of you... I know it. You have done things that even Gordon hasn't been able to accomplish. You have stuck with it for years and never given up! Gordon quit because he missed a penalty shot but things like that don't bother you and I find that fascinating! Whatever you do that makes you happy is great. I see this spark that lights up in you when you touch that ice to your skate and it's amazing! You just seem to have a happier everything when your out there shooting pucks at a goal all day." said Hans. I couldn't say anything? I had no words. All I could do was give him another hug.