Chapter 28: "Signed Sealed Delivered, I'm Almost Yours"

Thursday October 28th, 2010
Blaine's POV:

  Have you ever had one of those weeks where everything that could go wrong did?

  You lost the solo in Warblers practice, mom's getting knee surgery and you can't visit her. You bombed your physics test, are running low on hair gel, and most importantly,

   nobody's asked you to the dance.

  I would be kidding myself if I didn't expect a long line of hopeful suitors banging down my door. Yet not a single box of chocolates or trail of rose petals has come my way. Is it something that I did? Have I gotten shorter? Sure all the attention can become a disturbance but whoever made the rule that we can't enjoy admiration? I know that must make me self-centered and arrogant, doesn't it?

  But I'm just like all the other singles out there. I want somebody to love who knows the real me. Not the lead singer, Mr. perfect, bow tie and suspenders Blaine. I want them to know the Blaine who writes Star Wars fan fiction, can't cartwheel, and secretly loves heavy metal music. One can dream.

  Speaking of dreaming, did something fall out of my locker? That explains where my missing Italian homework went. At least that's what I thought before I opened it.

  "𝑇𝑤𝑜 𝑝𝑒𝑎𝑠 𝑖𝑛 𝑎 𝑝𝑜𝑑, 𝑡𝑤𝑜 ℎ𝑎𝑙𝑣𝑒𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑎 𝑤ℎ𝑜𝑙𝑒
   𝑤ℎ𝑜 𝑘𝑛𝑜𝑤𝑠 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑏𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑠𝑜𝑙𝑒
   𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑎𝑘𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑟𝑦 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑝𝑎𝑖𝑛 𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑏𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟
   𝑛𝑜𝑏𝑜𝑑𝑦 𝑒𝑙𝑠𝑒 𝑚𝑎𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑠 𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝑖𝑡'𝑠 𝑗𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑢𝑠 𝑡𝑜𝑔𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟
   𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑘𝑒𝑒𝑝 𝑚𝑦 𝑠𝑒𝑐𝑟𝑒𝑡𝑠 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝐼 𝑘𝑒𝑒𝑝 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑠
   𝑛𝑒𝑖𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑜𝑓 𝑢𝑠 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑠𝑝𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡'𝑠 𝑤ℎ𝑦 𝐼'𝑚 𝑠𝑢𝑟𝑒
   𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑖𝑓 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑠 𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑓𝑒𝑠𝑠𝑖𝑜𝑛 𝑖𝑠 𝑠𝑎𝑝𝑝𝑦 𝑎𝑛𝑑 ℎ𝑜𝑟𝑟𝑖𝑏𝑙𝑒
   𝑖𝑡 𝑚𝑒𝑎𝑛𝑠 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔, 𝑤𝑎𝑛𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑔𝑜 𝑡𝑜 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑚𝑎𝑙?
     𝐿𝑜𝑣𝑒,
- 𝔂𝓸𝓾'𝓻𝓮  𝓶𝔂𝓼𝓽𝓮𝓻𝔂 𝓭𝓮𝓿𝓸𝓽𝓮𝓮"

  Holy shit, a love letter for me? From somebody who claims to know me well. Have I had long conversations with them? Do they know my secrets and pain? Damn.

  The warning bell for the third period rang out reminding me that calculus doesn't wait for love. I plucked my binder from the top shelf, checked my hair in the mirror, and swiftly slipped the folded sheet of paper into the breast pocket of my blazer.

———————————————————————

  "Somebody's got a serious crush on you, Anderson."

   "Congrats dude. We all knew you'd get asked soon."

   "Are you going to search for them? What if there are more notes?"

  "Maybe we can trace their handwriting!"

  Once the other Warblers caught wind of my proposal page news spread rapidly. The speculation began on who could be my hidden honey. Everybody's lunches were cast aside as the quest to interrogate all the students became the main talk of the cafeteria.

  I snatched back my precious paper, clutching it to my chest. "Look guys, it's wonderful that you want to help me uncover this person. And I'm sure that you wouldn't stop until we did. But this is something I need to do on my own. I'm supposed to if I know them so well. I'm going to get some fresh air, cleanse my mind."

  I took the long way to the woods, appreciating the distant chatter of students and the bitter chill of the late October morning.

  When I was sure nobody else was around I withdrew the letter, already creased from opening it so often today. I ran my fingers over the slight tear in the top left corner, the ornate cursive at the bottom. Their signature.

"Needed a break from the chaos? I get it."

  I swiveled on the wooden bench to find Kurt lounging with his journal in the myrtle tree. How long had he been there? Did he see me reading the note? Does he know what it says?

  "I guess so. How did you know what was going on in there? I didn't see you at lunch."

  He jumped off a branch and shut his book before I could see what he was writing. "Please, Blaine Anderson getting asked out to the formal is prime gossip. It's the type of thing someone like me would know. But I'm sorry, they're making a huge deal of it."

  Should I ask him? He already knows what it says so maybe he knows who wrote it. It's worth a shot.

   "Kurt, do you have any idea who gave me the letter? The dance is this Saturday and I think I may want to go with this person. Is that stupid? To be so connected with someone I don't remember meeting?"

  He gave my shoulder a quick pat and grabbed his satchel. "No clue. I wish I could tell you, Blaine. But if this person truly loves you, which I'm sure they do, you'll find them. Don't lose patience yet." He took a few steps before turning around once more. "I hope you get to go with them, Blaine. You deserve it."

  He waited another couple of seconds, sensing that I had more to ask him. Gosh, I should be leaving him alone, he probably wants to get back to class and forget my problems. But,

  "Do you think you could keep an eye out, you know, just in case you see anyone? I'm not ready to give up and you're the most attentive person here."

  Kurt sympathetically gleamed and nodded, making his way back to campus. "Of course I will. And if you ever need to talk or investigate potential guys I'll be here. But the best advice I can give you is to notice the little things. I have a suspicion this admirer is closer than you think."

  So maybe not everything went wrong this week. Although, I still never found my Italian homework.

Hey guys! So...Blaine's got a new mystery man on the way. I know this stuff is super lovey and essentially all fluff. But I guess I'm just lonely 😩. Next week's update should have some wevid content and then the dance! If you have any suggestions for that I'm open. As I say every chapter, thank you for your votes, follows, comments, and support. I can't believe how we're so close to 3.5k! Thanks for starting my year off right. Have a great morning, afternoon, or night! You are admired.
𝑌𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑓𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑜𝑤 𝑔𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑘,
  - 𝓛𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓼𝓪𝔂💕