Chapter 1

Chapter 1

My mom was in the living room, sitting on the couch. Her glassy filled eyes scanned the fancy looking letter she held in her grasp. She looked deep in thought from the expression on her sorrowed face. I could see her hand trembling by the way the letter shook.

Mom had yet to notice me; I stood out of her view. A noise from the stairs caught my attention. My fourteen year old sister, Sophia, stumbled into the room. Tension was thick in the air.

"Mom, what's going on?" Sophia asks quietly, looking at mom with her blond hair covering half of her face.

"Honey, why don't you go upstairs while I talk to Ava," my mom's sweet voice cracks as she speaks.

Sophia looked like she wanted to protest, "But-" she gets cut off.

Mom gently wipes her tears away from her soft face, trying to give a look at Sophia. Her tone surprises me, because she was always a gentle woman.

"Go," she sternly commands, shocking my sister from her tone.

She lowers her head and trudges upstairs. She wasn't used to being yelled at; mostly because she was a goody two shoes. In our family, we usually didn't yell. When we did, it was for the good of others.

"You might want to sit down," mom sighs, biting her lip and giving me a nervous look.

I hesitantly walk over to the love seat that was across from her, sitting down and folding my hands in my lap. I was curious as to why she was so nervous. I don't think I've ever seen her this way before.

"I- I don't know how to explain this," she stutters, her voice weakening as she went on.

Her nervousness was making me nervous. Whenever she acted like this, it wasn't anything good. Mom tried to clear her throat but it didn't seem to help.

"Just spit it out," I bite my lip, not really wanting to hear what was going to come.

What could make her so worked up that she didn't want to tell me? Thousands of ideas and situations ran through my mind. Knowing her, she could say anything.

"I'm not your mom," she says in one breath, looking a little relieved to get it out.

I raise my eyebrows, laughing quietly. Is this some kind of joke? Is she pulling a prank on me? Then again, she wasn't one to joke around when it was a serious matter.

"What?" I laugh again; this really isn't right.

If she really wasn't my mom, wouldn't I have known by now? Does she think this is some funny joke? I wait for the camera crew to come out and I'm being pranked. Maybe she wanted to tease me for watching all those 'pranked' shows.

"I'm not your mother," she murmured again in a serious tone.

I knew right then and there, she wasn't joking. She was sort of scaring me; this couldn't be true! I tugged at the ends of my hair in a stressful manner. I waited for her to tell me anything else, but it looked like she was dead serious about this.

"What are you talking about? You are my mom! You- I- just-" I couldn't find words to say; shock coursed through my veins at the mere thought.

I didn't really know what to believe at the moment. I knew she was telling the truth, but my mind couldn't comprehend it.

"I'm-" she starts, but I swiftly get off the love seat, heading for the front door.

I dramatically push open the front door and make a run for it. There was this place that I had always gone to when I needed to think; that's where I was headed. My pace quickens as I run through the endless woods.