Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The weak slowly drifted by, the days getting longer as the week went on. My annoying alarm clock woke me up at three am, the beeping ringing in my ears. My head pounded, from tiredness and from the headache I had last night.

My hair that was now a bird's nest fell in my face, the tangles looking painful. I flinched at the pain as I ran my fingers through my hair; I would have to get a brush. The noise from the alarm only seemed to get louder so I slammed my hand down on it.

Yawning, I went over to my closet to pick out some clothes. The only thing that really stood out to me was my skinny jeans and my red hoodie. Quickly, I slipped them over myself and went over to the bathroom.

One of the perks of my room was that I had a bathroom; well it was really my old room. The hair tie on my wrist was cutting of my circulation, so I gladly took it off, putting my hair in a ponytail.

Sighing, I sling my shoulder bag/carry on over my shoulder and take my suitcases downstairs. Emma, my former best friend, came down for a few days to say goodbye. Everyone but Sophia was in the living room, but soon after she groggily came down the steps. It was quiet the whole ride to the airport, everyone in their own thoughts.

"Honey, we can't go inside so we have to say goodbye here," my 'mom' cries, her voice cracking and her eyes glassy.

Deep down I knew this was a good idea; I would finally be able to start again. Forgiving them would be hard, but I would manage. I usually wasn't much of a forgiver, but in the end this was the family I grew up with.

Everyone got out of the car unwillingly, other than me. My 'mom' was the first to take me in a huge bear hug, surprising me. Shock filled my face as I tried to lean away.

"I know I'm not your real mom, but I still love you," she sniffles, tears dropping on my hoodie, "Call us," she whispers, not trusting her voice.

I slowly nod, not responding. Just like with my sister, I doubt I would come in contact with them very often. Maybe it was because I would be getting away from it all, I don't know.

Emma places a hand on my shoulder, giving me a weak smile. Just as she left, I was just returning the favor. She pulled me in a hug, wrapping her arms tightly around my frame.

"Call me as soon as you get there," she manages to get out, trying to stay as strong as she possibly could.

"I'll try," I manage to smile, even though I wanted to break down in tears; who knew when I was going to see her again.

The rest of my unrelated family looks at me expectantly. Swiftly, I give each of them hugs. Waving one last time, I walk through the airport door.

Looking around, I tried to find customs so I could give them my suitcases. Finally I spotted the area, taking my things over to them.

The woman smiles warmly at me, asking for my passport and ticket. I gladly hand them over and wait for her to send my bags. I was just glad she was being friendly.

"Enjoy your flight," she gives me another grin, waving me on.

Smiling back, I find my way to security. I've always hated going through metal detectors, mostly because of what happened when I was twelve. I shook my head at the memory.

Sighing, I finally make it to my terminal. It was mostly empty, luckily for me. I've never been much of a people's person but I've always dealt with it.

I find a spot near the entrance, waiting for my flight to be called. It wasn't long before someone sat beside me, throwing an arm around my shoulder. Doing what any normal person would, I jerk out of the grasp. My heart was pounding in my chest at the closeness.