❃ Chapter Thirty Two - Injured

┴┈┈┈┈■┈┈┈┈┴
Zoe
┬┈┈┈┈□┈┈┈┈┬

Okay, I was done.

Stepping back from the closet door, I glanced back at the now empty bed. Then, I looked inside the closet, full with clothes and shoes. He'd gotten me most of my sizes right. There were so many clothes, tho. Colorful or not, loose or tight, thick or thin, they were of all types!

For example, now I was wearing a pair of flannel pajamas in red and blue, loose on my curves, but pleasantly warm and comfortable I was also wearing this pair of puffy, red house shoes. Very comfortable, so very comfortable!

After I checked out what he got, I put on the pjs and started arranging everything in the closet. Just before I got down to business, I completed my outfit by tying my hair in this high ponytail. The curls I was unused with practically exploded at the top of my head, but I tried my best not to get distracted by it.

After years and years of being raised knowing how wrong wearing my hair curly was, now I had to fight the urge to straighten it to waves. And after an hour of arranging clothes, I got a hang of it.

After Xen and I had our private moment, we agreed to arrange our clothes. She'd gone to her room to take care of her business and I remained to mine. And what do you know, I did a really good job! My closet looked quite presentable!

What didn't look presentable was the pile of bags gathered besides my bed. Along with the mountain of candy wrappers on the bench from the bed. Most of the sweets he'd left with the bags, I munched on while checking out the brand clothes.

The expenses were all so incredible, at one point I just gave up trying to figure how much one costed. Not to mention, I dropped the intention to ask him. He was either going to tell me and I'd lose my mind over it, or he'd sugar coat it. So it was better to keep the wondering to myself.

Deciding to gather up the mess I'd made, I began stuffing bags in one another so I could throw them more easily.

But as I heard a loud thud come from the hallway, I stilled. The frown inched lower on my figure. I thought maybe Jerome shoved the front door shut or Xen accidentally slammed her door? But it didn't sound like a door. More like something very heavy hit the floor… and it sounded too close to be the entrance apartment door, but too far to be Xen's bedroom door.

Wary of the surroundings, I grabbed the first thing I had in reach, which was the remote from the flat screen facing my bed.

Now… many things could have happened. Xen could have dropped something heavy, slipped in the bathroom or something… but it could also have been somebody who'd entered our apartment and was knocking somebody else out.

As I slowly opened the door to my bedroom and glanced out, I braced myself to hit someone in the face with the remote. Only to drop the thing altogether at the shadow looming over the marble a few steps away from the stairs.

Fallen on his chest, his face didn't have to be turned in my direction for me to recognize him. I could make sense from the broad shoulders and the black hair and the leather coated hand at his side. With the blood drained from my face, I stumbled out of the bedroom and rushed by his side, falling next to him.

"Jer," I croaked, reaching a shaky palm to touch him. The red markings on his face and the blood from almost fresh injuries made my voice quiver. "Oh… my God!"