Not Fair

Rosemary kept repeating McGonagall's words in her head. When she told the girls they thought she was joking. After they realized she wasn't they all told her how lucky she was. She just felt confused, Rose didn't see what made her so special. All she ever did was be kind, what was so special about that?

She was currently walking to Herbology with the Gryffindor girls, a lot quieter than normal." What's wrong?" asked a concerned Lily. "Nothing," Rose replied quickly, a little too quickly. "Liar," all three of the Gryffindor's exclaimed at the same time. This caused Rose to suddenly stop dead in her tracks, not noticing the group right behind them.

"Ouch," shouted Rose as four boys ran right into her back, one after the other. "Why in the bloody hell did you just stop like that?" yelled an angry boy dressed in red and gold. "It was an accident, Potter, so don't get your knickers in a twist." Everyone turned to Marlene who was walking to stand between the Hufflepuff and the boy in glasses, broken glasses.

Once Rose realized his glasses were broken she reached up and took them from his face. The boy, now known as Potter, was too shocked at her actions to react. "Oculus Reparo," Rose said, pointing her wand at the boy's glasses that rested in her hands. All seven Gryffindor's watched as the glasses fixed themselves and Rose placed them on Potter's face.

Rose then turned to the three girls and smiled, walking out to the greenhouse. "If we don't hurry we will be late for our first class." All of the Gryffindor's looked at each other before taking off after the Hufflepuff. Still processing the little trick she pulled in the hallway.

The greenhouse came into view a minute later, Rose walking in just before the others. "Oh, so glad you could find the greenhouse, usually it takes first years a little longer," their professor stated, smiling at the eight children. "It was all Rosy," Alice said, "it's like she could smell the plants a mile away." This caused the girls to laugh and the boys to stare at them like they lost their minds. "I just followed the white rabbit," Rose said, faking innocence.

All four girls looked at each other before bursting out laughing.  Rose heard a chuckle come from the group of boys and looked to see the boy covered in scars laughing with them. "You understand the reference?" asked Rose. "Yes, I do. Question is, how do they?" the boy pointed to Marlene and Alice. "Rosy read us the book last night," Alice explained. "She read you the book? Like a bedtime story?" asked another boy with jet black hair and gray eyes.

"Yes," stated Marlene simply, "she read us a bedtime story." "Why?" asked the Potter boy. "Because we wanted her to," Lily said like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Lily," Rose quickly stepped in, "class is about to start. Let's go choose our seats." All four boys watched as the girls sat at a table together, quietly chatting with one another.

"A bedtime story," James whispered to himself. "That's what they said," Remus replied shyly. "I haven't had a bedtime story since I was four or five," Sirius said, staring directly at the Hufflepuff. "Maybe she'll read you one," Peter told the boy, trying to help. "But she doesn't even know us," James replied. "What do you think, Remus?" Sirius asked the shy boy he and James befriended. "I think she's nice," he said, barely audible. With that said, they sat down as the class started.

~~~

The girls had just finished Charms and were headed to the Great Hall , laughing and joking about Merlin knows what. The four boys not far behind doing the exact same thing. "Godric, Lily. Where did you even come up with something like that?" shouted Marlene, causing Rose and Alice to giggle harder.

"What are you lot laughing about?" the Potter boy asked the giggling girls. "Oh, hello." Rose said, "I don't believe I actually know your names." Rose looked back at the four boys with a  smile that could melt a Slytherin's heart. "Uh, um, wha" was all the four boys could say. But Sirius being Sirius didn't stay down for long.

"I'm Sirius Black," said the boy with gray eyes. "And I am James Potter," the boy with glasses quickly jumped in front of Sirius' out reached hand. Rose smiled at the boys antics and couldn't help the giggle that escaped when she saw Sirius' face. "This is Remus," Sirius said, stepping in front of James, pointing to the boy with his head in a book. "And that's Peter," James nearly shouted, walking almost directly in front of Rose.

Marlene and Lily were quick to pull Rose away from the boy who didn't seem to understand boundaries. Alice pulled Rose into her arms as the other two stepped in front of them. "Back up, Potter. You too, Black." Marlene seethed at the boys, causing Rose to move away from Alice and in between the two groups of Gryffindor's.

"Enough Marlene, that's not fair to them." Rose looked back and forth between Marlene and James. "They just want to make friends, just like us." "Oh, I am nothing like them," Marlene back fired. "What's so wrong with being like us," Sirius replied, obviously offended by Marlene's comment. "Like Pure Blood supremacies? Considering I'm a Half-Blood and two of my best friends are Muggle Born, yeah, yeah I think it is."

At this point Marlene was yelling at the boy and Rose was trying her hardest to pull her back. "That isn't fair," Sirius whispered, looking about ready to break down. "The Blacks are known for torturing people like us, people tainted with the blood of those unworthy. Are you telling me your different? That you don't think like them?" Marlene's words struck a few nerves and made James extremely upset.

"Don't talk to him like that," James placed himself between the two, trying to protect Sirius. "Why? So he can hurt her? So he can hurt both of them?" Marlene growled. Rose was beyond angry at this point, for multiple reasons. Marlene was hurting both herself and Sirius. But Marlene didn't know what Sirius had been through. If the Blacks hurt strangers, what did they do to their own son?

"ENOUGH!!!" Everyone stopped, not expecting the Hufflepuff to shout. Lily moved to stand in front of Rose, knowing that something was really wrong. "Rose, Rosy. Speak to me, speak to us. Calmly." The other two girls looked at one another, moving closer to Rose. "Rose, I'm sorry. Just tell me what I did wrong. What did I say?" Marlene started rambling. "That's not fair," Rose mumbled as they entered the Great Hall.