Chapter IV

It was a cold Thursday morning in Seoul, and winter was nearing. For someone like Jisoo, she didn't mind too much since it was her favorite season, despite the fact that she wouldn't be able to play ball on Jin's backyard. 

Today, she had woken up earlier than expected and couldn't get back to sleep no matter how hard she tried. Taking a look at her clock, she saw that it was still around six am and inwardly groaned. Her first class was at nine.

Deciding to make the most out of it, she quickly got up and changed into her workout clothes, tying her hair into a messy ponytail. She supposed she could shoot some hoops for an hour to pass the time, despite the growing cold outside. Besides, her grandma wasn't awake this early in the morning.

She eagerly picked up her ball, which was the brown, Spalding NBA Street Outdoor Basketball model, which Jin had given to her during her sixteenth birthday. It was the exact same one she had been saving up to buy, but her cousin had beat her to it.

Of course, she didn't complain when she received it from him.

She ran outside towards Jin's house, and as soon as she arrived on the court, she noticed that the ground felt slick because of all the moisture in the air. She didn't too much about it, she had been able to play in these conditions before. Besides, she was only here to shoot around, not have a quick game.

"Hey Jis, good morning. You're pretty early today." Jin smiled, sipping a cup of coffee. She smiled back at him. His hair was a bit unruly, it seems he just got out of bed to get ready for the day.

"Yeah, I couldn't get back to sleep when I woke up earlier. So I decided, why not just get a good warm up before I get to school?"

Jin chuckled, "Why am I not surprised? Anyway, I gotta go get ready. Be careful, the ground's kinda slippery this morning." he warned as he turned to get back inside.

"Don't worry, I'll just be shooting around." she tells him as he put up his hand in acknowledgement. 

As soon as he was gone, she began hitting shots from the free throw line, slowly moving her way around as she got further and further from the ring. Every time she missed, she would go back to her original position, and start over. 

When she made the final shot from the three-point baseline, she stopped and bent down, taking deep breaths to regain her stamina. Grinning, she felt fully satisfied with this morning's warm-up. Her form was great, and she knew she would play fairly well for tomorrow's game.

To celebrate, she decided once again to attempt a dunk on Jin's ring. She knew she was short, but, she always dreamed that someday, somehow, she would finally make that shot. She wasn't about to give up anytime soon.

She prepared herself and focused on the ring, she was going to do this. She always wanted to experience how it was like to fly, to stay and rule in the air just like Michael Jordan. What a feeling that would be!

As soon as she felt she was ready, she bit her lip, concentrated hard, then, shot forward like a bullet towards the ring!

She was thinking that the faster she would be, the more momentum she would have for her jump, so she decided not to dribble the ball towards her destination.

When she got nearer, she immediately leapt up, moving the ball towards her right hand as she got it into a perfect position for a one-handed dunk. She felt like her jump was higher than her previous ones, and she felt a spark of hope. What if this was finally the day she made it?

Unfortunately to her dismay, as her hand neared the ring, the only thing she was able to do was to graze the net. No dunk was going to happen today.