All Sold Out

"Thank you for stopping in. I hope you enjoy those cinnamon buns, Mr. Crossby." Hadley smiled, wiping her hands on the white apron around her neck. 

She looked down again, working out some numbers in the books. If they kept going the way they have been, the business could run itself in no time. Which meant Eloise could get back to spending more time with family. And Hadley could move on. Ever since she walked in to an empty house a couple weeks ago, she had the urge to move. She didn't know where, or how for that matter, but she was going to do it. He never took any of her money. Just what was rightfully his. She could say that about him. But her heart still hurt. And most days were tougher than others. 

Hadley shook the feeling, returning her focus to the sheet of paper she was looking at. The bell above the door rang, signaling a happy customer. She peered up from the counter, her breath catching in her throat. His green eyes glittered as they caught the light coming in from the expansive windows of the bakery. The smell of vanilla and streusel whirling about. He came up to the counter, meer inches from her. 

"I need a recommendation on some pastries for Christmas." His rough voice sending shivers up and down her neck, causing her to scrunch up her shoulders. 

"Let me get you someone, hold on." Hadley was about to walk away, when he spoke up again. 

"I was hoping you could help me." 

"Sorry, I am a little busy. But one of the other wonderful ladies would love to help. Give me one moment." Hadley replied, a fake smile playing upon her bubble gum pink lips. 

"Hadley...." 

"No." She placed her right hand up to stop him. "You don't get to come in to my business and lecture me or beg me for forgiveness, Brantley. That is not how this works. That is not how I run things around here. So, if you would like to take some things back home to Georgia with you for the family, great. I will get Lainey or Justine to help you. If it is a conversation with me that you desire, well, I am sorry. We sold out of those hours ago." 

Brantley stood in his spot, unsure of what to say. He wanted to smirk at the fact that she was still the stubborn little girl he always knew. And loved. But he didn't. He simply nodded his head and asked for someone to help him box up some goodies to go home with him. 

Hadley stood by as Lainey held in her fan girl excitement and finished helping Brantley. He paid his dues, plus some and thanked them kindly for everything. Lainey sauntered back to the kitchen to boast about the amazingly hot celebrity she has just took care of. As Brantley reached the door, he turned around, adjusting his hat so as to see her a little better. 

"Merry Christmas, Hadley.... and if you talk to Blair, tell her I said the same." He exited the bakery and got in his big black pickup. It sat there for a few minutes in its parking spot. 

Hadley was not quite sure what had just happened. The smell of the apple pie in the oven was suddenly making her nauseous. She called to the girls to let them know she would be stepping out and would be back in a couple of minutes. His truck had pulled out of the lot and turned on to the old roads of town. Hadley stood by the front of the bakery, pacing back and forth. Both hands on her forehead in thought. What was going on. Was Brantley insinuating that he and Blair were no longer on speaking terms. Or furthermore, no longer together? Why was he in Tennessee. He had a studio down in Georgia. And the farm was in Alabama. 

She could feel a headache coming on.