Finally Fell

It was nearing midnight. The majority of the guests had left. Becky had stayed up way beyond her bedtime, not wanting to force Hadley to leave on her account. Brantley had started a fire in the fireplace that separated the rooms. They had gathered in the living room, cozied up on couches and chairs. Hadley sat on a small cream colored arm chair in the corner, taking it all in. Brantley had hurried himself downstairs after their encounter. He didn't want anyone to gain suspicion. Hadley collected herself in the guest bathroom next to the master bedroom. 

The tension had subsided, if just a little bit. Hadley scanned the room, landing eyes on Kolby. He adverted his eyes, hanging his head down low. He didn't say a word to Hadley since she arrived. It was a conversation that needed to be had, but she didn't want to anymore than he did. So for now, she sat quietly with her hands around her second cup of a sweeter Merlot. She watched as Becky stifled a long yawn. She looked down in her cup. It was still half full, but she could chug it quickly so that they could go get some rest. 

Brantley must have seen because he spoke up. "Mama, someone can bring her home if you would like to go get some sleep for the busy day ahead." 

Blair shot him a look. Was he playing around? She sure as heck was not going to let him give Hadley a ride home. She could walk for all she cared. It is not like it was towns between them. There was literally one side street to take. 

"Thank you, darlin'." Becky smiled sweetly, fully aware of the anger that Blair was hiding. 

Becky hugged both of her children, and Blair for good measure. She walked over to Hadley, pulling her in. "You raise some hell, darlin'." Becky gave her a wink and headed toward the front door, waving goodbye to the rest of them. 

Hadley put down the rest of her wine in a matter of minutes. She wished she had gone home with Becky. No one said a word to her while she curled up in the chair, just watching. 

"Well, I think it is time you get home, Hadley. Some people need more beauty sleep than others." Blair giggled. 

That was the last straw. "Then why are you still awake?" 

Brantley tried to muffle a chuckle, but he was unsuccessful. Blair placed a hand to her chest, feigning surprise. She could get down and dirty when it came to sticking it to someone, but she had to be honest. Hadley was much wittier than herself, giving her a run for her money. 

"Don't worry, I am going to be heading out. But, Blair, I will be back tomorrow. Try to come up with something better than that if you want to gut punch me." Hadley stood up, reaching for the maroon Michael Kors cross body bag she brought along. 

"Surely you will walk home." Blair suggested, her eyes narrowing in on Hadley's honey colored eyes. 

"Surely." Hadley replied, a touch of attitude gracing the word as it left her lips. 

"I'll take her home." Brantley stood, rolling his eyes at Blair. He grabbed the keys out of his pocket before either of them could protest. He placed a hand on the small of Hadley's back. Fire trailing up her spine. Hadley smirked as he ushered her out the door, neither one looking back. 

"You don't have to..." But he put a hand up to stop her. 

He nudged his head to the left, gesturing toward his tour bus he had been staying on the last few weeks. She looked at him inquisitively, but didn't say anything. She followed him over as he looked behind him to make sure no one was watching out the windows of the well lit house. He opened the door and let her in. She walked up those steps, memories flooding her thoughts like a dam that just let loose. Her eyes threatening to release a few salty tears. The place they used to hang out in for weeks at a time. Where Hadley found out the first boyfriend she ever had left her for someone else. Through Jana, Amber, and Blair. 

"Stay the night...." His words were quiet, but rough. The tears finally fell.