Merry Christmas, Ya Filthy Animal

There was a collective cheering in the room. Becky looked next to her as Hadley pushed her chair back and stood up. She swiftly left the dining room, unnoticed by the majority of the guests who were hugging and offering their congratulations to the newly expecting couple. 

Hadley made it out the front door and down the stone steps before someone came up behind her. They placed their hand on her shoulder, stopping her in her tracks. She whirled around so fast, she almost took the person out. 

"It's just me, sweetheart." Becky cooed, trying to calm Hadley. 

"Did you know?" Hadley asked, searching Becky's forlorn face. 

"No, honey. I did not. Trust me, this is ear tug worthy. Even a possible ass whoopin' coming in the future." Becky answered, shaking her head. She was just as furious as Hadley. 

"Becky, he..." Hadley began, but Becky placed her hand up to stop Hadley from going any further. 

"I know. I heard him unlock the front door and come in after you last night." Her green eyes looking back at Hadley. "I looked outside and his truck was still parked there at 2am."

Hadley didn't know whether she should laugh or cry. Or vomit. Pregnant. Blair was pregnant. She never thought those words would ever be formed in to a sentence. Blair was not the motherly type. She was clearly having some sort of life crisis because she was just partying last month. And drinking. Drinking a lot. 

Hadley stopped her pacing back and forth for a moment. Blair had to have just found out. There was no way she was more than a month along. She was drinking at Thanksgiving. Unless she didn't know then. And even still. Brantley said they hadn't had sex in months. Lies. 

The sound of the front door opening and closing forced both Becky and Hadley to jerk their heads in that direction. Becky stalked toward him, fire in her eyes. 

"Brantley Keith. This better be some sort of prank you are playing. I do not appreciate being told this sort of thing in front of a bunch of people like this. Not after what has been said to be going on between Blair and your brother." Becky pushed a pointed finger at his chest, anger present in her tone. 

"Mama, please..."

"Please nothing, mister. You listen to my words right now Brantley. If she really is expecting your child right now, you owe everyone an apology. And the truth. You should be ashamed of yourself. Here we all are thinking poor Brantley, when you are off screwing your wife because you can't help yourself." Becky replied through gritted teeth, "And another thing..... learn to keep it in your pants." 

Hadley wanted to cheer for Becky. She was saying everything Hadley was thinking. Almost. Becky glanced at Hadley then back at Brantley before she headed back inside. It was eerily quiet. The noise between them was the wind blowing through the empty branches of the trees that lined the entire property. Hadley's arms were crossed across her chest. She fiddled with the sleeves of her sweater, trying not to cry. 

"Hads," Brantley began. He took a step forward in her direction, but she backed up shaking her head. 

"No. You don't get to do this, Brantley. You don't get to fuck me one day and then apologize for getting your estranged wife pregnant the next." Tears threatened to escape, but she kept them at bay as the anger grew inside her. 

"Please, Hadley." Brantley pleaded, fixing his hat to showcase his glittering green eyes.

"Save it." She put her hands up in disgust to stop him from going any further. She turned on her heel and started the walk down the long pavement driveway. She looked back to see Brantley still standing there. She stopped for a moment, "Merry Fucking Christmas."