eleven

chapter 11; attractive yet unattractive

DEAR BOSS

Oh dear, I've made quite the mess, haven't I? I told you that we have similar goals and interests. I did quite a good job, didn't I? He was a bad man, who should've gone to jail. No matter, I'm happy to help this town be rid of a beast. I'm sure all the neighbors you ask will claim to know nothing, heard nothing.

I'm so flattered to hear that you knew where I was going. Did you figure it out all by yourself in that beautiful brain of yours? It's hard not to be attracted to intelligence, I'm sure Dr. Reid knows what I mean. See you in the next town, my dear.

ET KWIOARTFFI PFK LKRT QR XQA QR PFK VQWTOI TF CO KWIOARTFFI, COHEONOI EW PFK QR PFK VFKHI HEUO TF COHEONO EW PFKAROHX, QWI QRRKAOI PFK TSQT ET SQI YAOJEROHP TSO EBYAORREFW FX PFK TSQT, QT PFKA CORT, PFK SFYOI TF JFWNOP.

-Raven

My eyes darted across the screen, but this cryptogram was more complex than the others. It used a different alphabet than the previous ones. I looked up to the victim in front of us, trying to see the link.

"We should speak to the neighbors. The unsub might've bribed them to keep quiet." I told Reid, looking up to him. His eyes were darting across the screen, mouth silently mouthing along, trying to keep up with his mind. I pulled the phone away from his gaze and he made a noise in protest. 

"C'mon mon petit chou, let's go a-knockin' on some doors." I sent him a bright smile just to get an eye roll in return. We walked out of the house and went to the neighbor across the street. The unsub mentioned that the neighbors may not talk, and if he bribed them then that will help our profile.

The neighborhood was a typical street, if not a little run down. The houses were old but kept up to date. Many yards were littered with children's toys or bikes by the mailbox. Some houses kept their houses looking clean with green yards and fresh paint while others didn't bother with watering the grass. It was obvious that this neighborhood wasn't as much as a community that others were, and were most likely filled with all different types of people, generations and family sizes.

Reid strutted in front of me, unconsciously puffing out his chest and raising his chin, his hand flexing at his side. If I didn't hate him and his personality, I could see how someone like him would be attractive. His sour personality tanks it though, making my mind ache whenever he talks. His intelligence makes him cocky. He gave three confident knocks and took a step back, his hands going into his pockets. The door opened slightly to show a young woman, perhaps early thirties.

"Hi ma'am, we are Agents Ripper and Reid with the FBI. Can we ask you a few questions?" She took in our appearances and our badges, and I was beginning to wonder if I had spoken at all.

"Sure. What do you want." Her tone was rude, and she didn't let us see more than she wanted us to, only a part of her body and most of her face revealed.

"Did you happen to see anyone last night at Chapman's house? Or maybe a car that wasn't normally around?" I inquired. She shook her head before I even finished my question.

"I don't know anything, nor did I see anything." The woman answered. Same reply that he told us would happen.

"Are you sure because I have a feeling that you were told to say that." Reid said, impatience lacing his tone.