Chapter 12

Their meals had finally arrived, they looked in awe at how good it looked. For Ukraine seeing so much colorful diverse warm foods even if it was two plates, makes her feel so warm inside. 

Canada started dining on a noodle bowl called Cao Lau, he seemed to really like it due to him immediately taking another bite after his first one. 

Ukraine was looking at her spring rolls, there were 3 medium sizes with shrimp, vegetables, and transparent rice paper making them into their roll shape. The waiter also gave her 3 unknown sauces, she figured one was soy sauce. She took a bite of one of her spring rolls and was melted by the flavor of it. 

"Do you like it?" Canada said with a small smile, taking another bite of his noodle bowl.

Ukraine kinda forgot that she was with Canada, she was surprised but hid it looking up at him. It took her a moment to process the question. "I only had one bite"

Canada shrugs finishing chewing his food bite. "Yea but wouldn't you know if it's good or not on the first try?" 

Ukraine shrugs as well taking another food bite. Yup, she definitely likes it, after chewing it she responses. "I guess, but I do have to say zis is a lot of food" 

That grabbed Canada by surprise, "Its only 3 normal size spring rolls" 

Ukraine looked at Canada as she was chewing, she looked back to her spring rolls. It looked like a lot in her eyes, maybe due to all the years of barely having a proper meal. But even after the few years of the fall of the USSR, she would still eat small amounts. It's what her body was used to, three apples and a cup of oatmeal would make her really full. 

Canada continued his meal with worry inside of him. 'Was she ok?',  'no wonder she's so skinny, 'does she have an ED?' all those questions circulated his mind. He wanted to ask her but knew that if she was going through something it'd be personal and would more than likely not tell him making the atmosphere uncomfortable and awkward. 

They continued eating. Canada was almost done with his food while Ukraine was starting her second spring roll caused by her slow eating, something Canada noticed. He looked to meet her eye and saw how concentrated she seemed on the plate, she was in deep thought.

"What's on your mind?" Canada asks taking a sip of his drink.

She quickly looks up at him, with a slight blush of embarrassment. "Sorrrrry" She drank her tea.

Canada chuckled, "It's ok I just want to know what you're thinking to see if I can join in on the conversation" In reality he wanted to know before he started to overthink, he was already panicking a bit in the car ride with the silence but Ukraine hadn't noticed it.

Ukraine thought a bit about telling Canada and sighed. "Fight with Rrrusia"

Canada looked at her with pitied eyes, he remembered when he used to get into fights with his brothers but never as bad as that one. It was obvious Russia used a personal weak spot of the Ukrainian, something he'd never think of doing to his brothers.

"Maybe if you talk about it it'd make you feel better" He gave her a gentle smile.

Ukraine looked at him with a bit of distrust. Even after hanging out, she didn't know if she could trust him. All those years of training to not trust anyone especially the capitalist and his allies have not left her mind at all.

Then another thought came in, she has literally been telling herself to move on, to change to catch up with the times. Though she was now realizing it wasn't as easy as it'd sounded.

Canada could feel the hesitance and sighed, "Listen, I know you may not fully trust me. I don't blame you for that, in complete honesty, I still don't really trust you either with all that cold war shit. But that's why I want to become your friend"