17 First Day

Reena was helping Missy pick out her clothes for the first day of Kindergarten.

"This one or this one?" she asked her.

Reena held up a bright pink dress with a frog on it and a bright blue dress with a penguin on it.

"Frog!" Missy shouted.

Of course, frogs were her current favorite animal.

She slipped the dress on her little girl and helped put her hair in bows.

"Good morning, Missy. Breakfast is ready," Marcus said as he walked into his little girl's bedroom.

"Eggs!" Missy shouted happily.

"Of course, omelets," Reena teased her husband.

"You almost made me sick of them when she was in your belly," Marcus pointed out playfully.

Reena swapped him away.

"I see she has 'frogs' on," he noticed.

"Perfect for a first day."

"Is what you're deciding for first day, Mrs. Moreno or should I say Professor Moreno?" Marcus teased her now.

"Oh shush. I'm not a professor yet," she picked up her baseball cap and put it on.

Now that Anita Moreno had retired at a suspiciously odd time. It was time to get a new Heroic trainer. Reena had somehow been elected to that role. She had gotten a teaching degree and was ready to play teacher and trainer to the new incoming group of Heroics.

"Oh, are we going with Coach Moreno?"

"I like Miss Autumn," she admitted.

"Back to your maiden name," he gently pushed her.

"Back to a name that kids can pronounce," she countered.

"Who do you have today?"

"Wildcard, A Capella, and Wheels."

The others were still too young for her to be babysitting now. Wildcard had put off Heroic school for a year and gone to regular school or tried. Lisa ended up teaching him for a majority of the semester. His powers were still too volatile for the regular teachers to handle.

Reena and Marcus walked down to see their daughter scarfing down her omelets. She had a ravenous appetite.

They were sending her to a normal kids school for now. She hadn't shown any abnormal abilities yet, but that didn't mean she wouldn't have any. They though it would be good for her to be around kids that didn't make things explode or float. She didn't want her to compare herself with the other super kids.

She, herself, went to a regular school her entire life. It wasn't until she joined the Heroics team that she realized she had abilities too. Even if she didn't have any super powers, she was still a Heroic.

But she wanted her daughter to make that decision herself someday. That was the blessing of having her be super abilities less. She wouldn't have her destiny handed to her.

She knew Marcus wouldn't admit it out loud, but he really struggled with having to live up to his super hero Heroic mother when he was younger.

"Are you ready to go?" Marcus asked her.

"Yes!" Missy shouted and grabbed her new backpack.

It was a frog backpack.

"They grow up so fast. I'm gonna cry," he started up.

"Come on, Daddy. Let's get to school," Reena rubbed his back.

Marcus kissed her on the cheek.

"Be lucky we don't have the house full right now," she whispered.