Chapter XV: A Pleasant Discovery?

June 9th, 20XX. The Occupied-City of Halren near the 11th Battalion's DZ

The day started up great, the men and women of the 11th Battalion have rested well from the exhausting battle they have fought yesterday. "The Banshee", the wailing woman which the 11th nicknamed, was not heard that night after the battle. As the result, the soldiers of the 11th Battalion had a good sleep.

The mood is good among the soldiers, they are happy as they just had the most satisfying rest ever since they arrived at the island. But deep inside, they were anxious. Yesterday's battle was hard, it was hard because they were tired as the result of the Banshee's torment upon them every night.

Plus, the numbers of the walking dead they have faced yesterday were shocking. According to the scout team, they've counted about 600,000 corpses lying dead in the surrounding fields. If it wasn't for the air support that they have called in, the 11th Battalion would be overrun and every single soldier from the battalion would be turned as one of them. Walking lifelessly, roaming across the island.

Even though they have survived the attack, they were left to wonder. "Is that all of them?", the question lies in their minds, hoping that it was it. Hoping, that they have destroyed all of them. Truth be told, the 11th has not been this anxious. They never felt this anxious in all their time as a soldier of Kopassus. They worry that if the walking dead found a way to get off the island, it will bring an end to this world. Possibly, to theirs as well.

The news of the walking dead has been received by the Kostrad, and by the order of the Kostrad, the 11th is to be reinforced by the 501st Para Raiders Infantry Battalion. Nicknamed the Bajra Yudha, part of the 18th Parachute Raider Infantry Brigade, which was estimated to arrive this noon.

The reinforcement was needed, as they need to set up preparation, in case another massive battle such as this should ever happen again shortly. And the thought of ever facing those walkers again is close, as the scout team has encountered a small group of walkers just 7 miles from the city. It was about a hundred at most, which the scout team destroyed them with ease.

But, another question lingers in their minds. "Who controlled the walkers?"

Zombies or walkers are nothing but mindless monsters who seek to quench their hunger, by preying upon the living. But yesterday's attack was too organized, they attacked in a massive force, and exactly the time when most of the 11th Battalion was about to rest. They piling up on each other to scale the walls, no mindless monster would've thought of that, especially a synchronized maneuver such as that. There can only one explanation, and everyone knew what it is, someone is controlling these walkers.

But, the person who controlled them also remains a mystery. As they still have no clue regarding the entire occupants of the city, and what has become of them. "Have they turned into walkers?" "Why did someone wanted to turn this island into a dead island?" " What was the purpose?" Such questions dwell in the minds of the 11th Battalion, which they soon have the answer.

Iqbal woke up from a bed, he found himself in a room in the city which he has assigned to stay. The first thing he does is to grab his rifle, a bath set of soap, shampoo, and toothpaste, and toothbrush. He walked downstairs, he found some of his comrades from his company still sleeping in the couches, some even slept on the floor.

"Wake up, it's already morning here." Said Iqbal.

Iqbal kicked one of his comrades in the bum, as his comrade was conveniently sleeping sideways. He kicked him quite hard, but it was enough to wake his comrade up. His comrade was none other than 1st Lieutenant Tomo Ardiansyah, the man who jumped off the plane at the same time as Iqbal did. He was but a Sergeant back then, now he's a Lieutenant.