Story Seven: From City to Country

Song: "I'm Still Here" - John Rzeznik

Genre (s): Teen Fiction/Drama

Written When? 10th Grade

Chapter 1

Welcome to Kansas!

Kansas, U.S.A.

        A crisp, cool breeze passed through the atmosphere, followed closely by puffy, white clouds. On the air currents in the gorgeous, blue sky soared a flock of meadowlarks.

Amongst the flock was Jewel, the youngest meadowlark there, who followed her mother. Her astonishing, yellow feathers glistened while she flew.

Farms grinned at the young meadowlark and her flock. Windmills and rolls of hay sitting on top of hills were engaged in conversation, and horses, wild or not, roamed the country landscape. Corn stalks danced in the wind.

Chirping, Jewel stopped to hover over a windmill that caught her attention. Her eyes followed the rotation of the three, white blades. She found them to be somewhat hypnotic because of the way they moved.

The rest of her flock passed her and left her alone, but Jewel didn't mind. Soon the only bird there, she stooped down to the windmill and playfully circled each blade three times. Afterward, she continued her flight and glided over rolls of hay, hills, horses, lakes, and finally, corn stalks that led in the direction of a two-story farmhouse and barn.

Ah, Kansas. What a wonderful state. There wasn't a single moment in which Jewel regretted living in Kansas. Kansas was her home, and she enjoyed it.

While Jewel soared, the tips of her wings brushed the corn stalks. When she left the crops, she found herself floating in front of the two-story farmhouse.

The house had a brown roof and porch, but other than that, it was white all over. The barn looked like any average barn, with its blood-red coat and gray roof. Attached to the side of the building was a white fence, and inside the fence, pigs sunbathed and cows mooed.

Jewel fell in love with the farm; it was just too beautiful to resist. She wanted to explore it.

First, she checked out the farmhouse. Jewel landed on the railing of the porch, folded her wings, and hopped towards a bird feeder, where a few barn swallows feasted, but she didn't feel like introducing herself to them. She fluttered up to the roof of the house and was blown away when she came upon the back end of it. In front of her was Kansas like she had never seen before–absolutely stunning!

Surrounded by a fence was a flat but marvelous pasture with healthy, green grass and rolls of hay. What was even better was that when Jewel peeked down to the backyard of the farmhouse, she found a yellow biplane outlined in red.

Jewel's curiosity hit a home run. She glided down to the biplane to examine it more carefully. She tapped the wing of the plane with her beak and checked the inside of the open cockpit. Afterward, she headed towards the pasture and sailed over the fence. She soared close to the ground and peeked back at the biplane that waited patiently for someone to fly. However, she forgot to pay attention.

Jewel crashed into the backside of a tall, brown and white paint, who feasted off a roll of hay, and smashed into the ground.

Blue eyes widening, the paint whinnied and went insane. Repeatedly bucking and rearing, it galloped all over the place and kicked rolls of hay, spinning in a circle. Every time it passed the fence, it banged its shoulder and went out to wreak more havoc. Numerous times, it almost stepped on the dizzy meadowlark that had hit it but avoided her at the last second.