Story Twenty-Seven - Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (Fanfic)

Song: "Believer" - American Authors

Genre (s): Fanfiction/Adventure

Written When? Sophomore Year of College

Prologue

        This is it. Kellyn knew this day would come. After spending five years traveling the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, and Alola Regions, it is time for him to put his skills to the test. It is time for the Ranger School's entrance exam.

***

Ever since he was a young boy, Kellyn's had a dream–to become one of the best Pokémon Rangers ever. He heard of a majestic Region known as Almia, where young boys and girls attended Ranger School. It was a boarding school that taught children how to become Rangers, Operators, and Mechanics. When Kellyn was ten years old, he promised himself he would travel to Almia so he could go ahead and live his dream.

However, just when he was getting ready to leave his Kanto house, his mother stopped him and said, "Now just wait a minute, Kellyn! You can't become a Ranger unless you are knowledgeable about Pokémon!" She told him if he tried the entrance exam that day, he would surely fail.

That angered Kellyn, and he asked his mother, "Well then, what am I supposed to do?"

"Become a Pokémon Trainer," was her response. "Travel the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, and Alola Regions, and then you will be ready to become a Pokémon Ranger."

"Oh, but, Mom," Kellyn argued. "That's so much work."

"Then I'm afraid you'll never become a Ranger." And just like that, his mother went right back to sipping her coffee.

Kellyn thought about his mom's words. When he went outside to his hometown of Pallet Town, he sat on a bench that overlooked the ocean. The more he pondered his thoughts and dissected her words, the more he started to think she was right. How could he become a Ranger if he did not know anything about the world of Pokémon? Perhaps he should become a Trainer and travel the Regions? But seven regions? That was insane!

As Kellyn continued to think about that, he made a decision. He would become a Trainer, but he would only travel the Kanto Region. When he passed the news on to his mother and Professor Oak, they were excited but also upset with the young boy. Only one Region? That was nowhere near enough training to become a Ranger! There were so many different species of Pokémon out there, and Kellyn had to see them all.

Yet, he refused. He said that as soon as he finished the Kanto Region, he would travel to Almia. With his Starter Pokémon, Charmander, by his side, he left Pallet Town and began his epic quest.

However, as Kellyn traveled the Region, he picked up a new feeling. It was not selfishness, nor was it confidence. It was fun. Kellyn actually had fun. It was so satisfying to knock down every Team Rocket Grunt he encountered. He would never forget the day when his Starter Pokémon evolved into Charizard. Kellyn would never forget the day he defeated Giovanni, Team Rocket's Boss, and he would never forget the day when he beat the Elite Four and Champion for the first time. Therefore, he had to do it! He had to travel to the rest of the Regions!

Now, that was the news that excited his mother and Professor Oak. Kellyn was finally coming out of his shell.

Because he was so dedicated to becoming a Pokémon Ranger, he was willing to take the proper training he needed before he applied to the Ranger School. For five years straight, he traveled the Regions, caught Pokémon, defeated Trainers, and became Champion for every single Pokémon League. He went down in history as the first Champion of the Alola Region.