Story Twenty-One: Heroic Dimension - 1: The Unsolved Legend

Song: "Aaron's Theme" - Shinji Miyazaki

Genre (s): High Fantasy/Teen Fiction

Written When? The first draft was written in 7th Grade, but I held off on the second until my Freshman year of college.

Prologue

500 A.D.

        "The Unsolved Legend". That was Sir Emmanuel's title after he mysteriously disappeared in the heart of battle hundreds of years ago. He lived during the early Middle Ages, in the kingdom of Shirenia–named after the great knights who roamed it after him. Fifteen hundred years ago, a brutal war was fought between Shirenia, Flora, and Coleela, three kingdoms that were ruled by three selfish princes. The princes, who never agreed with each other, were the source behind the current war–the War of 500 A.D.

Sir Emmanuel was the appointed knight of Queen Bianca, the heir to Shirenia. He excelled in swordsmanship, archery, horseback riding, and dragon taming, giving him the nickname "The Knight of Many Talents" in his time period. He had been tasked to protect the queen if the war ever came to the castle. It looked like the day had come.

The castle was located at the end of an open field and had a large forest known as Nomab behind it.

The forces of Shirenia, Flora, and Coleela just appeared over the hill. They included their soldiers, horses, catapults, and dragons.

The echoes of swords clashing and roars of dragons overtook the whole area. Dust and smoke blocked out the sun, making it significantly colder.

Queen Bianca and Sir Emmanuel watched the battle from Queen Bianca's balcony.

Bianca, a young woman of merely seventeen, had long, curly brown hair and blue eyes. She wore a silver diadem over her forehead and a silky, white dress with some brown boots.

Sir Emmanuel was twenty-two. He had long, brown hair and brown eyes. Stretching behind his back was a red cape, and he wore chainmail armor with a red-trimmed vest over it and brown pants with tall, brown boots. The center of his vest was decorated with the symbol that represented Shirenia–a circle that had three dragons in it.

Queen Bianca, who couldn't bear to watch the war, turned her back to the field. She fell into Sir Emmanuel's arms, starting to cry. "Oh, Emmanuel, it's horrible!"

"We have no choice, my queen. We need to evacuate," Emmanuel said in a brave voice.

"But I promised my father I wouldn't abandon the castle!"

"You're Highness, please."

"No!" Bianca ripped free from Sir Emmanuel's grasp. Though she still struggled to watch the war, she went ahead and clutched the railing of her balcony with both hands.

Sir Emmanuel could not let her die. He loved her too much. He was willing to sacrifice himself to save her. Turning on his heel, he rested his hand on the brown hilt of his broadsword, which was also decorated with Shirenia's symbol. To save Bianca, Sir Emmanuel decided to fly into the war himself.

He drew his broadsword and held it high over his head. Right when he did, the symbol with the three dragons glowed up. Emmanuel waited, and then he heard a roar from the sky.