Chapter 55

"Good morning, Tom!" Isabelle greeted the Tanuki when he entered the resident services in a good mood. "Good morning! How are you?"
"Great!" The dog replied with a wag of her tail. "And as I can see, you seem to be doing great too."

Tom smiled. "Well recognized!" He sat down on his desk and started the laptop as usual. "Tom, do you have some coins for the vending machine?" Isabelle asked with a pleading look. "I don't have any!"

"Let's see ..." The Tanuki pulled his wallet out of his trouser pocket and opened it. Horror crept through his fur when he noticed that some bills were missing. "Wha-what the ..." Tom was speechless. I got robbed!

Isabelle peeked out from behind the laptop. "Everything okay?" With wide eyes he looked at his co-worker. "No, someone stole from me!" His tail trembled with anger and shock. "What ?!" Isabelle gasped in disbelief.

"Are you sure?"
"Yes, of course! I'm missing exactly ... uh ..." He paused and began to count. "I can't believe it! Tom's fur stood on end. "500,000 bells! "The yellow dog stared at him in shock. "Unbelievable!"

Panic seized the tanuki. Yesterday he had counted his money and there were still 900,000 bells. And the next morning more than half of it just disappears. That can't be possible! Have I left some money at home? Or lost on the way?

Tom was often in a hurry in the morning. It could very well be possible, that he had lost a few bills. But how should that-
"Oh Tom!" Isabelle's plaintive cry made him startle. "I've told you enough times before, that you shouldn't have that much money in your wallet!" She chided.

"It's dangerous! And now you see what happened." Tom felt like the biggest idiot. "Yes, yes. I know ..." he muttered. "But I still don't understand how that could happen. After all, nobody except me has access to my money."

Isabelle cocked her head thoughtfully. "Was anyone with you yesterday?" Tom gave a startled gasp. "Redd ... was with me," he whispered hoarsely. The two stared speechless at eachother for a few seconds. But Redd would never do that.

The tanuki nervously scratched the table with his claws. Or would he...? He pinched his eyes tightly. No! I don't believe that. I just don't want to believe that!

"But why should Redd steal from me?" Tom asked helplessly. "He has absolutely no reason to!" Isabelle was silent, frowning. "Say something!" He looked at her desperately. "What should I say about that?" She replied, dismayed.

She hesitated uncertainly. "It ... it could be possible that it was Redd. Assuming someone else was with you." He shook his head. "Redd stayed overnight with me and he left quite early in the morning."

Isabelle didn't respond. Without a word he got up and walked towards the door. "What are you going to do now?" The dog asked worried. "I ... I'll be right back", Tom answered shortly and left the resident services.

He headed to Redd's house. I can't believe that. I don't want to believe that! Those words swirled in an endless loop in his head. With heavy steps he reached Redd's home. Tom knocked on the door and waited.

He waited a long time, but no one answered. "Redd, are you there?" He called and was getting more restless every second. No Answer. Not even a sound. Tom clenched his teeth together. Is he hiding from me?

"Redd! Open the door!" He went to the window and peered inside. The living room was empty. Where is he?
"Good morning, Mr. Nook!" The tanuki whirled around. Poppy stood before him with a friendly smile. "He-hello ..."
"In case you're looking for Redd - I saw him walk into the airport early in the morning," the squirrel said.

Tom looked in disbelief into the void. He took off on the plane!
"Thank you, Poppy!" He said to the resident. Poppy wagged her tail. "You're welcome!"

When Tom walked into the airport, Orville looked up from his newspaper in surprise and straightened up in a stern posture. "Good morning, Mr. Nook, sir!" He greeted him solemnly. "How can I help you?"

Tom got straight to the point. "Was Redd here today?" He asked, ashamed of how desperate his voice sounded. "The fox, you mean?" The dodo inclined his head. "Yes, he took a flight to Bellington an hour ago."

"Bellington ?!" Tom repeated, horrified. The blood froze in his veins. "What's he doing in Bellington?" He muttered more to himself. "Sir, I can't tell you either," Orville replied. "I just know he's been there for the third time."

Tom couldn't believe what he was hearing. Redd lied to me. He said he was going to Tarantula Island while ... His heart contracted with pain. "Why?" He whispered hoarsely. Orville eyed him worriedly.

"Mr. Nook? Is everything ... okay with you?" Tom tried to pull himself together. "Y-yes. Thanks, Orville. Have a nice day." With his head hanging, he dragged himself outside. Did Redd run off to Bellington with the money? Will he even ... come back?

Tom was close to tears. "What's that supposed to be?" He whimpered. "Why are you doing this?!"