Chapter 27

Tom ran hastily to the window and looked outside. His eyes twitched frantically through the area, but there was no fox in sight. "Redd!" He called as loudly as he could, although it was pointless.

Tom stormed out of the room, almost stumbled down the stairs and pulled on his coat when he got to the corridor. "Boys, I'll be right back!" Without waiting for an answer, he grabbed his umbrella and left the house.

I can't believe it. He's acting like a child!  The ground under Tom's paws was damp and muddy, which made running a lot more difficult. Luckily the rain didn't get any heavier, but - as he knew- the weather can change quickly. He didn't want to go through this terrible storm again.

Tom avoided some fallen trees in the middle of the path. He also found several pieces of fence in the grass and garden furniture, some of them had been destroyed. After a few minutes he reached the beach and carefully climbed down the slippery cliff.

A few meters from Tom he found Redd crouching and shaking like a pile of misery in the sand. "Redd!" He yelped. "What are you doing there? Are you crazy?!" He ran up to him and held the umbrella over his head.

The fox didn't move. He stared out at the sea with a blank expression. Tom followed his gaze and noticed that the boat was gone. It must have sunk as he had suspected. "Oh Redd," Tom whispered and knelt down next to him.

"I'm really sorry, but I already thought that this would happen." He put a paw on his shoulder. "I've lost everything," Redd muttered dryly. "Everything. My furniture, my clothes, my money."

His voice cracked, he buried his face on his knees. "Oh God. M-My paintings. Everything destroyed. All the work - all for nothing!" Tom moved closer to him and patted him lightly on the back. "The pictures were fake anyway," he said.

"You didn't want to sell them anymore, right?" Redd raised his head and stared at him indignantly. "Are you serious?!" He jumped up. "I still painted these pictures myself and it was hard work! How much time do you think I invested in them ?!"

Tom got up too and countered bitterly: "Calm down. I just wanted to say that your paintings and everything else are by far not as important as your life. If it hadn't been for me, you would have drowned! What use would the paintings have then?! "

Redd's tail bristled. "So you're saying that it doesn't matter whether I have a home or not?" He growled. "If I don't own anything, how is my life worth living then, huh ?!" Tom took a deep breath and tried to keep his tone calm.

"Redd, you don't know what you're talking about. The fever won't keep you sane." He grabbed his paw. "Come on, we're going home now. You need to rest!" Redd pulled himself out of Tom's grip. "I know exactly what I'm talking! You're the one who's out of mind!"

A coughing fit interrupted him. He leaned low and pressed his hand to his chest. Tom looked at him worried and helpless. "Redd, you're overexerting yourself. Calm down now before it gets worse!"

Redd had recovered and reared up in front of the tanuki. "What's actually going on here?" His voice was cold as ice. "Why are you so nice to me all of a sudden? In truth, you hate me, don't you? Is that just an excuse to somehow get rid of me ?!"

Tom was speechless. He's going crazy! He looked at the fox seriously. "You're wrong! Well, at first you got on my nerves and I really didn't want you on my island, that's true." Tom paused and chose his words carefully.

"But now I've noticed that you've changed, even if I didn't want to believe it at first. I'm sorry I was so mean to you, but ... I don't hate you, Redd. Honestly, I like you very much because you have proven, that you are no longer the thieving fox you were back then. I can see you as my friend again."

Only now Tom noticed, that his heart was pounding in his throat. Why was he so nervous? Redd, however, was silent. He looked at him with a doubt, and sadly at the same time. "Liar," he sobbed, his lips trembling. "You're only saying that so that I finally shut up!"

Tears ran down his cheeks. Tom smiled and hugged him tightly. Redd stiffened at first, but then wrapped his arms around Tom's body, snuggled close to him and cried into his shoulder.

"Oh Redd." The tanuki gently stroked his back. "You are so sensitive sometimes." Redd sniffed. "Y-you ... you really don't hate me?"
His voice turned into a low whimper. "No, I don't hate you", Tom confirmed and meant it.

"Otherwise I would definitely not have taken care of you yesterday or let you sleep in my bed." He gave a short laugh and went on: "Shall we go now, hm? If we stand here in the rain, you could get even sicker."

Redd slowly released himself from the embrace. He glanced over his shoulder one last time at the spot, where his treasure trawler had been. Tom looked at him sympathetically. "There's nothing more we can do. The boat has ... sunk."

Redd sighed sadly and turned away. "You're right." His voice was filled with pain. "Let's go."