Chapter 20

After Tom nailed two boards over the damaged window and Isabelle cleared the broken glass from the floor, the doors of the resident services opened again. "Uncle Tom!" Timmy and Tommy padded into the building, covered in rain and had their arms wrapped around their trembling bodies.

Tom jumped up from his chair, as if he got stung by a tarantula and hurried to his nephews. "Boys! What are you doing here?" The little tanukis looked at him with big, frightened eyes. "We were worried about you and Isabelle," Tommy explained with chattering teeth.

"Yes, and we were terrified of the storm!" Timmy added and pressed against his uncle. Tom petted their heads and said: "You shouldn't go out into the storm. That was very dangerous. Something could have happened to you!"

The twins looked guilty at their paws. "Sorry," they muttered in unison. Tom smiled, he just couldn't be mad at them. "Poor little ones," Isabelle said caring. "I'll get a blanket and fresh clothes, then you can warm up."

After she disappeared into the back room, Tom asked himself, "Do we even have clothes here?"
Isabelle reappeared a few minutes later with a large, fluffy blanket and clothes.

"I'm sorry, guys. I only have two shirts left of mine. They're probably a little too big for you." "That doesn't matter!" Timmy replied, while he took off his wet clothes. "The main thing is that it's dry. Thanks, Isabelle!"
"Yes, thank you very much!" Tommy said. Tom was surprised. "You really have everything at hand, Isabelle."

She giggled. "You're not wrong about that." When Timmy and Tommy had dressed and wrapped themselves in the blanket, they were already much warmer. The shirts they wore came down to their knees, but it was better than nothing.

Tom giggled to himself at the sight of the two tanukis crouched on a chair in their oversized shirts and cuddled in a blanket. "Will the storm rage for a long time?", Timmy asked suddenly. "According to the weather report, it should move on around 6pm," Tom explained. "So we have to wait."

The twins sighed. "How boring."
"Maybe we can play a fun game to pass the time," Isabelle suggested. Timmy and Tommy looked up curiously and wagged their tails in delight. "Oh yes, a game!" Timmy cheered.

"And what kind of game?" Timmy asked, cocking his head. Isabelle made a thoughtful face. "Well ..." Tom wasn't listening anymore. His mind wandered. He thought of Redd and wondered if he could handle the storm.

He's going to be terrified like last night, that coward. Tom froze when it flashed through his head that Redd, who lived on an old boat, was helplessly exposed to the storm.

The huge waves, that Lucifer had reported could overturn it. Tom jumped up from his chair. He was freezing under his fur. Isabelle and his nephews stared at him in surprise. "Uncle ..." Timmy began, "... Tom?" Tommy ended.

"What's going on?" His assistant asked, perplexed. "Redd", the Tanuki breathed, after he had recovered somewhat. "He is in danger!" It took Isabelle a few seconds to understand, then she put a paw over her mouth with wide eyes.

"The boat won't withstand the storm!" She whispered horrified. "Oh, no! What should we do?!" Tommy called out, who understood the situation immediately. "You have to save him, uncle!" Timmy said seriously. Tom looked into the void. He's right, if it's not too late.

He grabbed his coat, put it on quickly, and left his seat. Isabelle got up. "Tom, what are you going to do ?!" she screamed hysterically. "You can't go out into this dangerous storm!" Tom threw the hood over his head.

"I know. But I can't let something happen to Redd either!" She went silent, her eyes showing fear and concern. "Take care of the boys meanwhile, will you?" She nodded slowly and said quietly: "Please be careful, Tom."

He nooded. "Don't worry, nothing will happen to me."
"Good luck, Uncle Tom!" Timmy said. "You can do it!" His brother added. Tom smiled at them, although he didn't feel like it at all. He just wanted them not to worry about him.

Determined, he opened the doors and faced the heavy rain.