twenty: going out with a bang

All the begging for an explanation from Chris didn't work. He took off after Jordan and the Beast with Gerard in tow. Then Scott and Liam took the last living Dread Doctor and brought him to Deaton to get more answers.

Marlow pocketed her phone. No news from anyone. But that didn't seem to matter anyway. Mason was gone. Marlow rubbed her forehead. Riley joined her side, lightly squeezing her shoulder. "I know," she started. Marlow rolled her eyes. She didn't need another lecture. It was hopeless. "Hey, listen to me. We're going to save Mason. Somehow. He will be back. Right now we need to get moving and do something. I locked Theo in the shed with a simple containment spell. It's going to wear off in like an hour but it's gonna give us a head start."

Riley crossed her arms in front of her chest. "Don't give me that look," she said. "Listen, I get it. You're tired of hearing pep talk after pep talk when nothing ever seems to work out but this isn't the first dire situation you've been in. It always works out somehow. And it will work out again this time."

Marlow sighed. "You're right. What do we do next?"

"Where is Theo?"

Marlow rolled her eyes and turned around to see Tracy stalking their way. She raised her arms. "I don't know, Tracy. Deep down he is a big 'ole coward. He might have skipped town already."

Riley bit her lip. Marlow was worse at being an actress than she was at being a liar. The containment spell would keep Tracy out for a bit but eventually, she'd find her way in and get Theo out. "Desperate times call for drastic measures," she mumbled.

"Just cut the crap and tell me where he is."

Riley picked up a nearby branch heavy enough to knock Tracy out and hit her over the head with it. Tracy groaned and went down on the floor. Marlow stared at Riley, eyes-wide-open. "Desperate times..."

Marlow nudged Tracy with her foot, turning her over. She was out cold. "Drastic measures." Marlow nodded. She looked up at Riley. "Where do we go from here? Because I have no idea what to do now."

Riley sighed. "I don't know what to do either. But..." she pulled her phone out of her pocket, waving it in front of Marlow's face. "Let's just call someone."

Before Marlow could ask any further questions, Riley had already dialed a number. "Hey, Liam! Give me a rundown?" she nodded as Liam explained everything to her. Marlow frantically waved her hands. "Okay, thank you. Good luck with everything. See you soon."

She hung up the phone and looked at Marlow once more. "Alright. Bad news first, the Dread Doctor is dead and the Beast remembered its name which is why we're stuck with Sebastien now. The good news though, they found a way for Mason to remember his real name. Which is why we need to get Lydia."

Marlow nodded. Riley grabbed her hand. "Hold on, Marls."

Marlow closed her eyes, bracing herself for what was to come. The two appeared inside the Sheriff's office. Marlow hunched over. "I will never get used to this," she croaked, trying not to throw up. She expected Riley to chuckle once more but the girl was quiet. Marlow straightened out. Her eyes widened upon seeing why Riley was so quiet.

Noah was laying on the floor of the bullpen, trying to get to his gun. Deputy Clark was unconscious. And Sebastien Valet had his claws in Lydia's throat as she screamed at him. He was flung across the room. Lydia fell to her knees. Blood streamed out of her neck, drenching her shirt. "Lyds!" Marlow yelled as she joined her side.