Ethan

Emma was already gone when I woke up.

And by gone, I mean on her way back to Arizona.

I knew things were complicated between us, but she didn't even say a word to me before she left and went back.

I was still asleep.

Last night was a blur, but I still remember what happened. Maybe that's why she avoided waking me up to say goodbye.

I still wanted to talk to her about everything that's happened between us.

I felt like I still needed closure about our break up.

I didn't know if I necessarily needed closure, but I damn sure wanted her back.

I was making myself some coffee in the kitchen when Grayson got home, I was still feeling half-asleep and quite hungover while he was bright and chipper.

"You're awake," he stated. "I just took Emma to the airport."

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath.

"Wanna talk about it, bud?" Grayson said.

I sighed, pouring the coffee into a mug and fixing it to my liking.

I took a long sip before setting it down on the counter in front of me. "Coffee?" I asked.

"Ethan," Grayson said.

"What?"

"Why are you avoiding your feelings?"

"I'm not."

"I know you, E. And you totally are."

I shrugged. "A lot went down this weekend. Let's not live in the past."

"Ethan, why are you running from this? You need to face it at some point. That's just part of healing." I glanced at Grayson, and he gave me a knowing look. He was right about this. "Now, are you ever going to tell me what happened?"

"It's so complicated," I breathed, closing my eyes again. "Emma just—God, I need her back so much."

"There you go," he said. "Let it all out, Ethan."

"I just don't understand why our communication died. You know? We were so good together before college started, and then everything just went out the window. I miss her so much, but she's made it clear that we're not gonna be the same anytime soon. I just wish it could be better," I said. "I still—I still love her."

"I know you do, E," Grayson said. "And I don't think it's too late. Just give her time."

I nodded. "Do you think I should text her?"

"I think you should either wait until she comes back to Jersey, or you need to wait until you can call her. Texting isn't the answer in this situation."

"You're right. I'll try to call her later."

"Ethan?"

"Yeah, Grayson?"

"Don't be an idiot, okay?"

"I'll try not to be."