Chapter 1

Note : The conversations written in italic were the conversations they had in the past.

Lights Will Guide You Home

Chapter 1

Things were finally doing great for Rachel Green. A year ago, she had taken the biggest gamble of her life and now she had to say that it was the greatest decision she had ever made. Instead of pursuing her career in the city of fashion, Paris, she had chosen love. The man she had chosen wasn't just any ordinary man, it was Ross Geller, her ex-boyfriend/husband and also the father of their now three years old daughter, Emma. Even though there was so much history in their relationship and some of it were very complicated and messy, still, she had chosen to take the risk and took a leap of faith.

The consequences of her decision weren't as bad as she thought it would be. Life had been treating her really well. After she got off the plane, she moved in with him immediately. It was the best decision for their situation, especially for their little girl. Their little girl undoubtedly played a big role in bringing them back together. Emma was one of the many reasons Rachel was willing to give up her once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of her career. She wanted her daughter to grow up in a proper family where the father lived together with them. She wanted her daughter to be happy.

"Do you think she knows the differences that now we're getting back together?" Rachel asked Ross one night as they tucked their little daughter in.

"I'd like to believe that." He started with a smile as they stared at the little creature they had made together. "You know.. Kids are smarter than you think."

He was right. As if Emma could tell the differences, the little girl seemed to be happier these past year with both of parents living with her. And it didn't come easy. Both Ross and Rachel had to put aside their own egos and learned to be considerate with each other. They had to learn to forgive each other's mistake, to let go of the past, and to work hard for their future. It wasn't an easy journey, but so far they made it and both of them were confident that they would make it last this time.

Just a month ago, the couple had celebrated their first anniversary which marked the date she got off the plane a year ago, May 4th. Their rekindled relationship flourished into a much more stronger, mature, and healthy relationship. They had learnt their mistakes and now they would do everything in their power to make it last for now the stake was much higher.

As for her career, it wasn't as smooth as her love life. After giving up on Louis Vuitton and turning down on Ralph Lauren before that, she was left unemployed for a few months. She wasn't going to complain though. After all, she got a break she deserved and she had to admit, staying home, taking care of their daughter whilst waiting for her boyfriend to come home was oddly familiar and it felt good. She was enjoying the domestic bliss for a while until she landed a job on Gucci.

So, here she was, living her dream in the city of New York together with her boyfriend and their daughter. Life seemed couldn't get any better. She was finally in a place where she was satisfied and feeling happy with her life.

Tonight was just like any other night. She went home from her work, stopped for a cup of coffee with her best friend, Phoebe, at Central Perk, and then went home to her family.

"Honey, I'm home." Rachel said as she put her keys away in the nearest table.

"In the kitchen!"

She took a peek at the swinging door and found him trying to cook dinner, whilst Emma was sitting at one of the chairs, reading a dinosaur book, and bombarding Ross with questions about it. Not wanting to disturb the father and daughter moment, she decided to listen and watch.