22 - DUMBASS LUCK

Only people can make a difference.

"Someone must pay you an awful lot of money to do what you do." Jimmy took a step towards the FBI agent.

The agent reacted to Jimmy moving. "Watch it, Mr. Dunn. I will fire on you and your friends. And yes, they pay very well." Kauffman smiled.

Jimmy wanted to keep her talking. "Gennery, ever have contact with Special agent Kauffman? She must be the federal connection that makes this happen."

"I don't recognize her, Jimmy."

"They call me in when the locals can't handle this little operation." Kauffman scoffed. "This is nothing."

"This looks like a pretty big deal to me." Gennery reacted pointing at the cages.

"Don't be so dramatic, Detective." Kauffman laughed. "They're not all from your precious city."

Jimmy watched Kauffman closely. As she fielded questions. "So we are about to get a visit by your friends?" Windy stood in defiance.

"My friends? No. Ex rangers and navy seals." Kauffman continued. "You are only alive by dumbass luck." She turned to Jimmy. "So which are you?"

"Me?" Jimmy gave the 'who me' look.

"Play it stupid if you want. I read the report on you, for what it was worth. There's nothing on you. Were you black ops? Maybe a spy? "

"There is nothing to know. If there were anything, I would not tell you." Jimmy countered.

"Hmmm. Not often does someone escape death as often as you have."

"Doesn't make me anything but lucky."

"Well, Mr. Dunn, you're luck is about to run out." Kauffman smiled. Then someone spoke to the agent through her earpiece. "They are here!"

"Who is here?" Gennery frowned.

Kauffman pointed to the door. "Remove the barricade, Detective."

Gennery attempted to move the piece of furniture. "Jimmy, how the hell did you move this alone?"

Jimmy shrugged then looked to Windy who also moved the same barricade. Jimmy's friend covered her sculpted body. Under the long-sleeved shirt showed a powerful dedicated athlete. 

"Mr. Dunn, help the detective clear the door."

Jimmy looked at Special agent Kauffman and spoke with sarcasm. "You want me to move that piece of crap so they can walk in here and kill me? Are you serious?"

"Do it or your friends die in front of you." The agent raised her gun as if she despised the young girl. "Starting with sweet little Lisa."

"Fuck me!" Jimmy appeared frustrated.

Lisa ran for Jimmy who couldn't believe the woman would do such a thing. Kauffman tracked her with her gun raised. Windy pulled the gun from her jeans and quickly fired. Gennery stumbled back at the sight of what just happened.

"No one shoots a young girl." Windy lowered the handgun. "You survived. Let's call it, dumbass luck." She kicked the gun from the agent to Jimmy. "Pick it up, Jimmy."

Jimmy did as his friend suggested. "Is there another way out of here?"

Gennery composed himself. "I'll make a call."

"To who? The Seventh Precinct didn't come. No ambulances. Who will help us?" Jimmy knew what was happening. The city appeared to believe the hype Precinct Nine spewed believing he was guilty.