7 - UNACCOUNTED

Windy worked to get her friend conscious. "Come on Jimmy, open your eyes!"

"Dana. This is Windy. Windy this is Dana." Jimmy almost looked drunk waving his hands above his body.

"What the hell is he talking about?" Marie stepped back thinking Jimmy was possessed.

"Long story, Marie. He is delusional."

The two heard sirens getting louder. "That must be the paramedics for Jimmy. I will go down to the street to make sure they get up here." Marie rushed to the door.

"Thanks, Marie." Windy acknowledged her helpful gesture.

"Marie? What are you smoking Win, that's Dana." Jimmy seemed to be stuck between his dream and reality.

"Hang in there, Jimmy." Windy looked around before speaking again. "You may not believe it, but I still love you."

Alex paused at the door when he heard Windy confess her love to Jimmy. Then he cleared his throat to let Windy know he returned. "Hey Windy, did you finish everything?"

"Hey, Alex. Yeah, they are on the table. Bring them here, I need to go over the plan before the paramedics get here."

"What? I didn't agree to that!"

"Come here or my friend dies!"

"Damn it, Windy!" Alex warned. "This had better be easy!"

"Even you can pull this off." Windy coached Alex then slipped into the bedroom.

The paramedics made their way into the apartment. "I haven't had a lemon Marange pie in years." Alex opened his apartment door. "Oh, hello."

"Hey, I'm Alex. My friend was hit in the back of the head when he was mugged a couple of days ago."

"A couple of days ago?" The paramedic quickly turned questioning Alex's timing. "A little late to be calling us now."

"He felt fine until just a little while ago." Alex convinced the paramedics.

"What's his name?" The first paramedic grabbed his bag from the stretcher and knelt beside the sofa.

"James Dunn, but he goes by Jimmy."

"Jimmy! Jimmy! How ya doing, buddy? Can you hear me?" He tried to get an answer to assess the patient.

"Windy?" Jimmy called out.

The paramedics looked at each other. They had no idea what to think. "Hey, Jimmy look at me." He snapped his fingers to see if  the patient could focus on him. "Right here. Hey."

Jimmy turned his head but did not open his eyes. "How's this?"

"Has this man been drinking?" The second paramedic asked Alex.

Alex shook his head. "Not since before the weekend."

"What the hell is this?" The paramedic poked at Jimmy's shoulder. "He has a couple of sutures."

"That happened the day before. Ah, Jimmy is accident-prone. Like a magnet for bad luck." Another lie, but Alex played his part well.

Windy looked on from the bedroom. "Come on guys get him to the hospital!"

"He is not doing so well." The paramedic assessing Jimmy looked to Alex. "Does he have insurance, sir?"

"Yeah, Holiday Cross. He is visiting from Minnesota."

"Here for Carnival?" Another question from the second paramedic to continue the assessment.

"Yeah, it out started great, then this!" Alex shook his head. "Come on Buddy, open your eyes for the man!"