26 - TO RUSSIA WITH LOVE

Jimmy picked up the cremated remains of Lana as agreed upon. His emotions hit him hard as he returned to the SUV. Stephen said nothing knowing the loss for his new friend is tremendous.

Several minutes had passed and Jimmy raised his head from the urn. And looked at Stephen. "Is this how a hunter is supposed to act?"

"Who am I to judge how you feel losing someone you loved."

"It is more than that." Jimmy looked at him with red swollen eyes. "She loved me and I will never feel that love again."

Stephen nodded and continued the drive to Dulles International Airport. Jimmy broke the silence with a question. "You and your wife have any children?"

It took time for Stephen to answer. He did not look to Jimmy when he spoke. "Way back. Really, a long time ago we both thought we wanted a child. Maybe even two." He half laughed. "Crazy as it sounds we thought we could do both hunt traders and raise a family."

"What happened, Stephen?"

"We started a new search for Hazel's cousin in Mexico when she began to have menstrual cycles every couple of weeks. We knew something wasn't right and when we returned to the States all the tests confirmed our worst fears. She would not be able to have children."

"Damn."

"Yeah, damn. So we would treat many of the young people we helped as our own. The really special ones stay in contact and that's a really good thing for Hazel and me. It would have been great to have our own but not everyone gets to have the life many get to live."

"I hear you." Jimmy gripped Lana's urn just a little tighter. "I may not have that option either. I've been racing through life burning precious time with no real direction."

"Hey, you never know. You and Windy may find that spark again."

"I think we are long past that mile marker. She tossed the engagement ring into the Pacific Ocean. Is the picture coming into focus for you?"

Stephen laughed. "Sorry, I'm sorry, but she tossed the ring into the ocean? Seriously?"

Jimmy nodded and gave a half-smile. "Uh-huh."

"Okay, but you're still young. Hey, you met Lana!"

"Maybe, but I am not going to think about another when I am holding onto her."

"Right. Change the subject. Do you like hockey?"

"What the hell? Why do you ask?"

"Jimmy, we are heading to Russia."

"Yeah, so?"

"In February."

"And?"

"You are thick, Jimmy. We can catch a hockey game."

"There are times when I am thick. You're right, you get the tickets and I will take Lana to her parents."

"Right. Her parents. Any idea what you are gonna say to them?"

"I have to tell them the truth. To lie would be to dishonor Lana and I will not lie to her parents or her siblings."

"Two brothers and an older sister. They may be harder to win over than the parents. That is why I set up an interpreter for you."

"Really? Thanks, Stephen."

"I will drop you off and park the car. Check-in, go through security, we will talk again on the plane. When we land I will go site seeing until you finish with the family."