14 - WINDY LOGIC

As Windy waited for her program to crunch numbers she began to think of ways to help Alex and Marie get away from Nick, the loan shark.

"Okay Nick, let's see what your game is. Even loan sharks answer to someone. Who let you get away with this, hey?"

"Who is your connection to the law? No wait, politics. Scratching someone's back? I'll put money on that being a yes." Windy began the assault on Nick's email account. With her skill, it did not take long to find her way in.

"Hey Windy." Both Alex and Marie greeted her.

Windy looked up to see the two holding hands. "Isn't that sweet?"

"What have you got, Windy?"

"Nothing yet. Hey Alex, any idea who Nick answers to? Mobb boss or maybe a politician?"

"No idea. I just know his muscle on a personal level. They keep visiting Marie and me whenever I am late with a payment."

"Who are they?"

"Reno and Chug."

"What?"

"I never asked for their actual names. You know that is not really on my mind when they pay a visit."

"I get it, Alex. Anyone else in Nick's inner circle?"

"Ahhh!" Alex sat beside Windy.

"Maybe a quiet person or a name you rarely heard."

"I've got nothing. Shit!"

"What?"

"That reminds me! I have another friggin payment tomorrow."

"Right. There's still time, Alex. Focus. Anyone else you can think of other than the thugs?"

"Wait a minute. Wait just a minute." Alex stood. "Yeah! Three weeks ago there was someone I didn't recognize at Nick's. He just stared at me."

"Did he say anything?"

"No...he just sat there smugly as he smoked his Cuban cigar. As if he was ready to laugh at me."

"What is it, Alex?"

"It's weird. Nick hates smoke."

"Like, he hates it a bit or hates smoke a lot?"

"Why would it matter? He doesn't like smoke, Windy. I think the weasel has asthma."

"Interesting. Thanks, Alex!"

"For what? I had nothing but the guy smokes Cuban's."

"Open your eyes, Alex. If Nick hates smoke then this guy may be important. Let's see."

"See what, Windy?" Marie sat down beside her new friend.

"Well, I have been thinking about how a loan shark operates and I think Nick answers to someone. Someone he pays off to stay...under the radar."

"What type of person? This guy didn't say a thing and Nick didn't talk to him."

"Either a mob boss or a politician. Someone who has connections."

Just then the computer program Windy ran for the abductions had just finished crunching her data. "Sit down, Alex. My program has finished analyzing the data."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning, I want you to take a look at the frickin map to see if you recognize the area."

"Oh...okay." Alex sat on the other side of Windy. "Show me."

"Okay." After a few clicks and the map appeared with three shaded areas.