Chapter 3

Nico fell asleep thinking about Will. He had nightmares, but only one. And it wasn't the worst of them.

He had a suspicion it was just the lingering magic from a certain son of Apollo. Nico thought back to the day before. I wonder why he was so interested in how I was doing? Nico thought. It's not like I'm the kind of person normal people care about...or even talk to at all. He rubbed his eyes, then got out of bed and got dressed.

He suddenly remembered he promised Will he'd eat a plate of pancakes at breakfast. "Why in Hades did I say that?" Nico mumbled. He was a bit hungry, actually, but now Will would be monitoring him, and would force him to eat a whole plate. Nico shook his head. "I'm making such a big deal over a plate of pancakes. And I'm talking to myself." He left the cabin before he drove himself insane worrying to an empty cabin.

As he walked into the dining pavilion, Nico tried to be as inconspicuous as possible. He slid into his seat at the Hades table and waited while a wind sprit put down a plate of pancakes in front of him. He had taken a few bites, and pushed away his plate, thinking he had gotten away with not eating the whole thing, when he felt a hand on his shoulder. 

"Nice try," Will said, using his other hand to put the plate back in front of Nico. "I almost missed you walking in."

Nico frowned. "Remind me to shadow travel next time."

"Nope," Will said. "that's not happening for a while."

"Ugh," Nico said, throwing a bit of pancake at Will. "Go away and let me eat in peace."

Will raised his eyebrows, but grinned. "So, my presence isn't peaceful?"

Nico snorted. "You wish." 

"Maybe I do."

Nico furrowed his brow. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh, nothing." It was probably just Nico's imagination, but he thought Will's cheeks colored a little bit. 

Later, Nico was walking towards the Big House when he passed by the Apollo cabin. From inside, he could hear a recognizable voice say, "...I like him a lot."

The way Will (it was obviously him; Nico would recognize his voice anywhere) said it implied that it was a "like like" thing, not just  "oh, you're cool, I like you." Nico felt his stomach sink, which he didn't understand, because obviously that feeling was not jealousy. I wonder who he likesNico thought. His stomach felt as heavy as lead. Then he realized that Will had said "him." At least this is slightly better than the Percy situation, Nico thought.

In that moment Nico realized something: he liked Will Solace.  Oh no, this is bad, Nico thought, frowning. can't like him! He just said that he liked someone, and can't go through that kind of emotional pain again, like with Percy. I'll implodeHe knew he would just get his heart broken. Even if Will was gay, there was no way in Hades he would like Nico. It was a general rule, really. Other people didn't like him. Period.

A small part of him still hoped, though. He knew it was irrational, but he couldn't control that one, tiny part of him that had started to enjoy Will's company.