Chapter 7

this is a strange chapter, just wanted to apologize in advance.
______________________________

Nico hadn't had any nightmares, but he still felt bad. He knew he should be happy about the whole "holding-hands-with-Will-Solace-in-the-dark-on-Valentine's-day" thing, but all he could feel was sick.

His heart would get all fluttery and excited when he thought of the son of Apollo, but his head was saying otherwise. He was still positive that Will didn't like him, but he couldn't find a reason why Will had held his hand. Maybe it had been a friendly thing? Platonic friends holding hands? Or maybe he thought of Nico as his little brother? Nico cringed at that thought. He was sick of people treating him like he was a small, helpless child.

"Niiiccooo!" A voice interrupted his thoughts.

Nico had been sitting in the shadow of a tree by the strawberry patches when Percy ran up. He rolled his eyes.

"What do you want, Jackson?" Nico said darkly.

Percy looked at Nico, confused. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Nico grumbled. "I'm fine."

Percy crossed his arms. "Nico..."

"I'M FINE!" Nico said loudly.

"Okay, okay, you're fine, you're okay." Percy raised his hands appeasingly. He cleared his throat. "Anyways, guess what day it is?"

"The day after Valentine's Day."

"Yup!" Percy said. "And do you know what that means? Half price candy! We're going to Walgreens!"

"No, no, we are not." Nico frowned at Percy. "I don't even like candy."

"Let's go anyway!" Percy said, grinning. "It'll be fun!"

"No, it won't!" Nico said. "There's....people at Walgreen's. And....love."

"What's wrong with love?" Percy said, grinning slyly. "I would've thought you enjoyed it, considering..."

Nico blinked at him. "Um, considering what?"

"Oh, nothing. Just a certain incident last night concerning a certain attractive son of Apollo and some hand-holding."

Nico blushed. "You don't - no, its not...I don't.... I mean, um..." He searched his mind for some sort of comeback. "I'm surprised you could fit all those big words into a sentence. Also, were you following me or something? That's creepy."

"Don't change the subject," Percy chided. "I know you like him."

"No...I don't....he's not..." Nico sputtered. "I-I don't like him that much." He frowned, and looked down at his hands. "And even if I did, he doesn't like me back, I mean, he wouldn't like me back. If I liked him. Which I don't."

"But yesterday you said..."

Nico pinked slightly. "T-that was just to get you to shut up."

Percy shrugged. "Anyways, since you're fine and nothing's bothering you-he raised his eyebrows at Nico. "-you have no problem coming to Walgreen's with me, right?"

Nico grimaced. "Fine."

"Cool!" Percy pulled Nico to his feet and began dragging him towards the camp borders.

All I seem to do lately is get pulled around by either Percy or WillNico thought, sighing inwardly.

-Later, at Walgreens-

"Hey, look!" Percy ran over to a shelf and grabbed a box of chocolates at least two feet wide. "Only two dollars!"

"Yes, great, hooray, whatever," Nico said. "Now can we go?"

Percy looked at Nico out of the corner of his eye. "Do you think Will likes chocolate?"

"Shut up, Jackson!" Nico almost yelled, causing an elderly woman standing near him to take a few steps back.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Percy said, putting the chocolate back and turning to Nico.

"YES!" Nico yelled. "I AM FINE! I AM PERFECTLY HAPPY!"

-Later, after being kicked out of Walgreens-

"Sooo...." Percy said as they were walking back to camp.

"Shut up, Jackson," Nico said automatically.

"Why don't you just tell me what's wrong?" Percy said. "I promise I'll stop being annoying."

Nico looked at him skeptically.

"Well, I'll try," Percy said.  "It's about Will, isn't it."

He said it as a statement, rather than a question, and, for once, Percy was right. Nico didn't look at him.

"So it is about Solace."

Maybe I should just tell him, get it over with. What's the worst that could happen? He could tell Will, but...I don't think he'll do thatNico thought reluctantly.

He sighed. "Fine. I do like Will, a small, no, medium-sized, amount, but I don't think he likes me back."

Percy threw up his hands. "You were holding hands, for Hera's sake!"

"Yeah, but...maybe he was just being nice."

"My gods, di Angelo, practically the whole camp has noticed it by now! He totally likes you!"

"No, he doesn't!" Nico said, frustrated. "How could he?"

"Why are you saying that? You're not a bad person. Not my type, but definitely Will's."

"'Not my type.'  Wait a minute, " Nico started to say accusingly.

"All I'm saying is that you need to stop being so pessimistic and actually see what's going on," Percy interrupted. "You two are so obvious, even Mr. D's noticed."

Nico choked on air. "Really?"

Percy nodded. "I was talking to Chiron when Mr. D was like 'Peter, I've noticed something odd going on between Nick diAngel and Winston Solar, or whatever their names are. Tell me what's going on. Well, actually, don't tell me, the sound of your voice is annoying.' And then I said-"

"Okay, whatever," Nico interrupted. "But am I really that obvious?"

They had reached the camp border where  Percy replied.

"Not just you-" Percy stopped as Will jogged over. Nico turned pink.

"Why, hello there, Will," Percy said, smiling mischieviously. "Nico and I were just having a lovely chat about-"

"Well, I've gotta go, bye!" Nico interrupted quickly, turning a deeper shade of red. "Um, see you later Will." He quickly walked away, feeling both Percy and Will's eyes on him, and hearing Will ask "What's up with him?"
_________
are there even walgreens wherever you live? maybe it's just a midwest thing?