Chapter 6

"Nico! Nico! Nico!" Percy was banging on Nico's cabin door and yelling his name. This did nothing to improve Nico's headache or mood; the day before had been particularly bad. He rolled out of bed and opened the door. "What do you want?"

Percy grinned at him. "Guess what day it is?"

Nico blinked at him sleepily. "What day is it?"

"It's Valentine's Day!" Percy said. "Yay! Isn't this great?"

"No, no it is not," Nico replied blankly. "I hate Valentine's Day."

"I know," Percy said, grinning slyly. "I just thought it is the perfect opportunity to confess your love to a certain son of Apollo."

Nico blushed. "I don't like him - I mean, uhm, who are you talking about?"

"Ha, I knew it!" Percy said. "You do like Solace."

"I do not!"

Percy just shook his head.

"Okay, fine!" Nico said angrily. "Maybe I do, but JUST A LITTLE BIT." He glared at Percy. "I swear Jackson, if you tell him..."

Percy smiled, unperturbed. "Oh, no, I'm not telling him, you are." 

"I am not."

"Yes you are."

"You can't make me."

Percy grinned at him. "Aw, you sounded like such a little kid."

"Shut up," Nico said. "I'm not telling him."

Percy shrugged. "Fine then. Your loss."

The campfire that night was unbearable, for Nico at least. Even the fire itself was being all lovey-dovey and bright pink, with little red hearts floating around it. Nico was surrounded by couples, and the Aphrodite kids had gone insane, showering everyone in pink tinsel and sparkles. It was worse than hell, and Nico could compare, considering he actually visited the place on a regular basis. 

He didn't know if it was the Aphrodite kids' magic, or what, but his gaze kept wandering over to Will Solace, who, he was happy to see, was sitting alone. When Nico looked over the next time, he locked eyes with the son of Apollo and quickly looked away, hoping the darkness his the color in his cheeks. Will got up and walked over to NIco, who was sitting with his sword at his side.

"You wanna come walk with me? You could get away from all this," Will asked, gesturing around the fire. 

"Um, sure," Nico replied, feeling his face redden more.

Will held out a hand to help Nico up, and Nico took it. The son of Apollo pulled Nico to his feet and began walking towards the forest. Nico realized his hand was still in Will's and thought about how nice it felt, how natural. However, Nico took his hand away, before he did anything stupid, like kiss Will, which he very much wanted to do.

"So, you don't like Valentine's Day?" Will asked, interrupting Nico's thoughts.

"Huh? Oh. No, not really," Nico said. 

"So you don't like anyone?" Will's voice had a slight tone of disappointment.

"W-well," Nico stammered. "N-not necessarily."

"Oh," Will said. "Who?"

"Uhm.." Nico said, blushing. Shit, he thought. What am I going to say? 

"Um, it's someone," Nico said. 

Nico could hear the smile in Will's voice as he said. "Yeah, but who?" The son of Apollo's tone changed. "Is it Percy?"

Nico shook his head. "Not anymore. I used to, but now..." Now I like you. 

They walked in silence for a while. 

"It's a guy. The person I like." Nico blurted. "I'm gay."

Will nodded, smiling. "Why are you smiling?" Nico asked, confused.

"No reason," WIll replied, his tone lighter. 

They fell into silence again, but it felt comfortable this time. Nico really wanted to take Will's hand again, but the son of Apollo beat him to it. Nico felt WIll's hand slip into his own.

Nico was confused, but he didn't say anything, scared of ruining the moment. Nico looked at Will out of the corner of his eye. The son of Apollo was smiling like he'd been handed a million dollars. 

That night, Nico still had nightmares, but they weren't as bad as they had been the previous night, or as numerous. He could still feel Will's hand in his.