Chapter Twelve

Mel's hearing was the first part of her to awaken. She could hear chatter from the pack having breakfast below. The rest of her woke up as soon as she realized a weight on the rest of her body.

She rolled over and was met with Achilles' dark hair messily sprawled everywhere. His arms were tightly around her and she sighed. I guess this hiding we're mates thing isn't going to last much longer. The excited feeling her wolf got nearly made Mel burst out laughing.

She took the time to study Achilles. His eyelashes were enough to make her jealous and she could imagine his icy eyes underneath. Her eyes traced down his sharp jawline to his lips. They were full and she barely held herself from stealing another taste.

She quickly tore her eyes away. She wasn't ready for people to know yet. She already had big enough problems with Circes, her parents, and being the only one that survived.  Becoming a Luna to Achilles would be hard enough on its own. Other she-wolves would challenge her. Being a random girl of Gamma's blood would mean the pack would never accept her. She would have to fight for her position.

Mel could fight just fine, but she assumed it would be different when these she-wolves were ready to fight to the death. And her mate was involved. Mel shuddered. She just needed time. She looked back at Achilles' sleeping face.

"I just don't know how much time you are willing to give me, "she whispered almost silently.

As stealthily as ever, Mel ducked out of Achilles' arms and bolted straight for her room. Luckily everybody was either at breakfast or still asleep so Mel wasn't seen.

Mel slammed the door of her room and looked at the alarm clock on her bedside table. It was seven-thirty, which Mel had thirty minutes to get to the garden. Which meant she had to shower the scent of Achilles off of her, get dressed, and eat at the speed of light.

At that realization, Mel ran for the shower. Luckily, she had a bathroom attached to her room. She hadn't paid much attention to it before this, except in her middle of the night bathroom escapades.

She grabbed the soap that was on one of the shelves and started the water. It was warm almost instantly and she hopped in. She scrubbed vigorously as fast as she could. Her hair was only a bit damp as she got out of the shower.

Mel quickly dried off with a fluffy towel. She then threw on a light blue tank top and black leggings. Her hairbrush was thrown through her hair until it was in a high ponytail.

Seven forty-nine. She drew in a deep breath and ran out of her bedroom. Mel ran through the hallways and past people also scrambling about.

Almost falling face first, Mel glided down the stairs and into the dining hall. She yanked a banana off the table and busted out the door. While eating her banana she sped walked to the garden and blended into the debriefing crowd.

"Okay everybody, today group one is going to be pulling weeds from the tomatoes, cilantro, cucumbers, squash, and carrots. Group two will be moving the new mulch from the truck to the front flower gardens. Group three will be trimming the hedges and trees. Any questions. No? Good."

As the people filtered away Mel slowly walked up to the tall man with blue hair. She took his distraction an opportunity and threw her banana peel in the large compost bin.

She cleared her throat, "Um, sir?"

His eyes immediately shot to her and widened.

"Oh! You must be Mel! I nearly forgot about you since you haven't shown up. Why is that?"

Mel get her heart speed up, "I-I just um,"

Mel closed her mouth. What should she say?

A smile crept across the man's face,  "I'm just kidding! Dang, you are uptight. The Alpha already told me you were taking care of some old pack business."