Chapter Six

The sound the paper ripping into shreds was the only keeping Mel from crying. She hated crying, she hated it so much. Her parents had always made it out to be something bad and that thought process was not easy to get out of. 

Mel threw the paper to the ground and took out her phone. Not one text or call. Nobody cared. Did they even notice she was gone? Was she that useless?

She sat in the hotel room Achilles and she was staying in for the night. He had gone to get them food, but Mel couldn't think straight. Everything felt like it was going to fast. Mel picked the pieces of paper off of the ground and poured them into the small trashcan. Her chest held a fiery pain and it seemed like nothing could reduce it.

"I have-" 

Achilles stopped his sentence and took in Mel's appearance. His wolf whined as he saw how distraught she looked. 

"Why are you crying?"

*************************

A small girl was hunched up underneath a large oak tree. Salty water poured from her eyes as she sobbed and screamed. So many emotions were present in her body and she had no idea how to let them all out. 

The girl picked up a small rock. She pulled her favorite purple marker from her pocket and drew a small face on the rock she had just found. 

"Will you listen to me, Rocco?"

The girl made the rock nod. Another set of tears fell done her face as she shoved the marker back in her pocket.

"My mom and dad started saying mean things to me today. They were saying that they don't want me anymore and that I should just leave. I don't understand, Rocco. Why would my mommy and dad want me to leave? I don't think I did anything? They still love me, Rocco. I know they do. They have too."

The little girl stared into the sky. She couldn't think of one reason for what had happened to her.

"And I said," the girls choked on her tears. "I said that they were being mean and- and my mommy she-"

The girl's face contorted as she recalled what had just happened. She felt her cheek and whimpered at the blood she pulled away. She couldn't believe that the people she was supposed to love and trust had done this to her. Did her mommy and dad not love her? Was she not good enough? The girl let out a loud sob.

"Why are you crying?" A voice asked harshly.

"Mel? Why are you crying?"

**********************

Mel was thrown back into reality and nearly threw up. Her lip began to quiver and she felt hotness take over her body. It felt like the hot sun she had sat in that day. She hadn't remembered that until now. 

"Mel? Are you okay?"

Mel turned to her very worried mate.

"I," Mel's voice broke. "No, I'm not."

Achilles felt like a doctor was dissecting his heart in his chest. He wanted to take away everything single thing that was making her sad and kill it. He would do anything to make her happy.

"Can I hug you?" Achilles asked. He hoped with everything thing in him that she would say he could.

"Please hug me," Mel said.

Achilles wrapped his long, muscular arms around Mel's torso and squeezed her tightly. He never wanted to let her go. He wanted to keep her safe and protected in his arms forever. 

Mel shoved her face in Achilles' chest and almost began to cry again. She could feel his warmth seeping into every one of her pores. As his arms encircled her she felt safe. She didn't trust him though, but then again Mel felt like she couldn't trust anybody.