Chapter Two

Mel was to finish her moping and then disappear to change. The servants had a uniform for this event. She didn't mind it since, it consisted of a white button-down shirt and a black skirt. The men had the same uniform with black pants to replace the skirt.

Mel didn't think she looked bad in the outfit, just overwhelmingly average. She was used to flashy dresses she was usually forced to wear, so this was a nice change. She never liked being dragged to meetings and parties anyway.

The black flats she was given were a bit tight but she couldn't change them now. Mel shoved her feet into them and practically ran down the stairs. There was no way she was being late again. Especially when the building is full of Alphas, Betas, and Gammas. If my parents were alive I would have been here, Mel thought.

Passing by a clock Mel noticed the time; nine twenty-five. In a matter of five minutes, the leaders would be led into the ballroom. That's where they would discuss peace treaties, rogue situations, and other issues with other leaders. The event masked itself as a fun night when in reality it was nothing but business. Mel thought that made sense, leaders always meant business. There were no fun nights for them.

As Mel thought about it she had only really seen her parents carefree when they were at home. Even then they still had work to do sometimes. Whenever her parents were out of the house it was strictly business. Mel shook her head, now was not the time to get lost in her past.

Mel's skirt fluttered in the breeze as she made her way into the gigantic kitchen. She couldn't help but marvel as she watched older males and females cook and rush around. Mel has never been one to cook, so when she saw people who could it amazed her.

"Here," a bright-eyed girl said as she handed Mel a tray.

The silver tray had small cupcake shaped hallow bread with egg and pieces on tomato in them.

"You'll be handing out hors d'oeuvre tonight. Remember do not talk unless spoken to. Move swiftly and silently and always keep your tray full."

Mel simmered over the rules. So be a ghost, she thought, easy.

All of the younger servants lined up at the doors to the ballroom from the kitchen. In about thirty seconds all of the leaders would be flooding into the ballroom. Mel couldn't help the nerves that tickled her insides.

She exchanged small smiles with the servants around her. Mel knows their thought processes were around the same as hers. They were curious and excited. But as the doors opened she knew those emotions quickly turned to nerves just the same as her.

Mel weaved through leaders looking for Alpha Wren. A few stopped her and took food off of her tray. She offered all of them a soft smile with her eyes focused on the tray. A couple thanked her, but the majority pretended she didn't exist. That's how a lot of leaders were though. They thought they were superior to everybody else. At least Mel could pride her old self with that; she had always treated everybody equally.

Mel finally spotted Alpha Wren when her tray was getting a bit low. She would have to be fast. She rushed through leaders, making sure not to brush them or make a sound out of line. When she reached Alpha Wren she was almost panting.

Alpha Wren automatically gave her a wide smile. Mel was relived. She had finally found somebody familiar.

"Mel! What are you doing here? It's great to see you, but I figured after your parents..."

Alpha Wren trailed off as her eyes glassed over. She had known Mel's parents rather well. It made her sad to think of their deaths.

"I'm a part of The Dark Fang Pack now. They took me in as an Omega when I ran to their land," Mel said.