Chapter Eight

Achilles led Mel into the mansion, passing groups of curious eyes. His eyes were only on Mel though, her was head down and her hands were behind her back. He could tell she was scared and he wondered why. The whole pack would be at her feet, he could tell. They would want nothing more than to talk to her for even just a minute. To the pack, Mel and Achilles were royalty. Well, Mel would be when she accepted who she was.

Soon, to Mel's delight, Achilles stopped in front of a white door that had four rectangles and two squares carved into it symmetrically. It was the same door she had had in her childhood bedroom. A flash of a memory came into Mel's mind and she hissed.

Younger her was laying in her bed staring at the door, while her parents screamed at each other behind it. She heard a smack and then another. Her parents were fighting again.

Mel gasped shortly before getting her barrings. Maybe she should start writing down these memories she had. Perhaps she would be able to piece everything together if she did.

"What are you thinking?"

Mel's heart lept as her eyes quickly flicked to Achillies'.  He was looking at her expectantly from the threshold of the room.

"I was just wondering about," Mel drew out her works longer than normal as she thought. "Um, what will I have to do here? I mean I could cook, oh wait, a new Omega would start off washing dishes. I could do that? Then maybe they'll belive-"

"That's not how we do things here."

Mel looked up into electrifying blue eyes. They were set firmly on her.

"What do you mean by that?"

"I mean, that pack jobs are switched around every other month. That way nobody is stuck with a terrible job for long. Keeps thing fair and interesting."

Mel had never heard of anything like that before. It had always been the Omega's that were stuck the undesirable jobs while the rest of the pack had easier or more glamorous ones. She had to admit that it was a better way of doing things.

"Will you be able to get me an assignment? I'm here during the middle of a month, so I get it if you can't."

"I can get you one," Achilles affirmed.

Achilles felt the corners of his mouth twitch up as his mate beamed. He could have sworn she was a goddess when she smiled like that. But his heart quickly sank when he remembered that she had asked for space.

"I have to go. I hope you like the room," Achilles said, briskly.

Mel wondered what had gotten into him as he strode away purposefully. Had she said something? She was rather good at saying the wrong thing.

Eyes gliding over her new room, she lost her train of thought. She nearly ran into the room powered by the awe she felt.

The room was shaped like a p  and had walls the shade of lilacs. On the right side of the room, there was a bed with a white bedspread covering it. There were two walls on the back and to the right of it. Two windows carved into the back wall of the room that looked over a large yard full of people. Far off into the distance, the field met the woods that seemed to go on forever.

Mel stopped there and stared at the scene before her. Everybody had a smile on their face as they went about their day. Everybody seemed genuinely happy here. Mel's heart lurched. Could she be happy here?

"Hopefully," Mel whispered to herself.

She turned from the window and was immediately drawn to the chair in the corner of the room. There was a bookshelf next to it with a few books on it. Mel could imagine herself snuggling up in the chair with Achilles and reading all night. Her eyes widened at her own thought.