13. Picture proof

The moment I got back I explained what I could to Jude, running my good hand through my hair while Scylla gurgled in my sling and made happy noises loud enough for him to hear. I paced the living room and kitchen, putting all the missing pieces together and finally taking a seat to write it all down. Once I did I jotted down the questions I wanted to ask him tomorrow on my phone, listening to Jude's input the whole time.

"Nova's been on her own that long? Jesus," he sighed, "didn't she have a sister?"

"Freya, yeah," I said with a start and jotted the question down with the others, "he didn't mention her but she wasn't there. I hope she's not dead."

"Me too, I want a crack at an Alchemian chick if you're getting one."

"I'm going to push you off the balcony."

"What?! I'm just saying I think it'd be cool to date a chick with you know, magic!"

I shook my head and threw my pencil at him, pausing when I checked the time and grumbling to myself. It was late and I was actually exhausted for once, that climb up the tree didn't do me any good and I bid him goodnight before marching off back to my room and setting Scylla on the nightstand. Just a little longer, I thought warmly as I closed my eyes and rolled to face the wall. My dreams were full of color again and I sat there in great reverie at the sheer vividness of it all. I didn't move until late into the morning when I finally opened my bleary eyes but for once I felt good, refreshed even; that was the first time I'd actually slept well in years.

"Ready for round three today?" I hummed warmly as I reached for Scylla's horn, realizing a few moments later that the stiffness in my shoulder was long gone, as was any pain. "Holy shit, that cure-all thing worked."

"Good!" Scylla gurgled back with a warm chirp, leaving me to get up and head out.

"Jude, are you home?!" I shouted down the hall, earning silence as a response and letting out a laugh. Should've figured, he's got bills to pay. The moment I started to make myself some breakfast though I heard my phone buzz on the counter behind me before I went to answer it, "hello?"

"Hey, sorry to bug you!" Jules laughed over the speaker, "I haven't heard from you all week, I just wanted to check in and see how you were doing."

"I'm doing fantastic actually, this week off is really doing me some good," I chuckled, "man going back Monday is not going to be easy. I swear to God if Anderson drops another project on my desk I'm walking."

"Really now? Who are you and what have you done with Kane?"

"Oh don't sound so surprised," I scoffed playfully, "honestly I've been thinking about looking for another job for a while, just haven't had much motivation to actually go for it. Obviously I won't until after the holidays but I've been there for three years now with no positive movement, so I'm ready to find something else."

"I've got to say I'm impressed. All this over a dislocated shoulder?"

"Dislocated shoulder and some time to think about my life choices. Jude had an epiphany the other day while he was fever-dreaming and came at me like a bat out of hell talking about doing things for myself for once and honestly? He's right. I need to start doing things that'll make me happy."

"I'm really glad to hear that," she laughed warmly, "let me know when you've figured out what you want to do. In the meantime though, got any plans for Christmas?"

"Going up to Mom's with Jude like I do every year, which reminds me I need to call her," I muttered as I scribbled it on a sticky note and plastered it to the table, "what about you?"