17. Peace offering

Jules was gone for most of the day Saturday and I spent Sunday watching the rain fall through the window to the tiny back yard. Scylla loved the water, always has, and I listened to her gurgle about her sisters Borda and Gryla and how they loved to play in the rain with her. I chuckled and ran my fingers up and down the artifact as if I were petting her and heard her gentle, oozing purrs that settled the jumping nerves in my body. I still didn't know what I was going to say to Kane, let alone how I'd even approach him. He was probably still pretty pissed at me and I really couldn't blame him.

I made dinner for the two of us that night, as close to my favorite Alchemian dish as I could get without a paradise bird and she was happy to not have to try and fend for herself for once. Sleep that night was fitful but Scylla's gentle coos when I awoke from an uneasy dream helped to settle my panic. The clear day outside was still dark and gloomy but welcoming at the moment, and as Jules' alarm went off across the hall I'd just finished lacing up my sneakers.

"Good morning, didn't sleep well?" She asked, wrapping a scrunchie around her bun as she walked down the hall.

"Just don't feel well," I admitted gently, my stomach flip-flopping with nerves, "Scylla thinks I should apologize to Kane and...I do too. I'm just not sure how to go about it."

"You don't typically have to apologize for killing people who attack you so I'm far from surprised," she snorted playfully, "come on, I'll drop you off in town. Go steal yourself some cash for coffee."

I flashed her a smile and got to my feet, swearing at the wind chill and flipping her off as she cackled and turned the heat up to full blast for me. There was a different bag slung over my shoulder and I could see Scylla resting at the top of my things, reaching in to gently scratch at the horn while we sat in traffic and listened to Jules' favorite music. The sun had risen by the time we got into north Seattle and I hopped onto the sidewalk before heading up the street toward the café as I waved. With a quick side step I apologized and bumped into a man before ducking aside and across the pathway, humming to myself and opening his wallet to pluck the cash out. I went to a different shop than the one I visited last time, walking in to lightbulbs dangling from the ceiling that put a smile on my face. The way these places decorated always struck me in an odd sort of way.

I was almost to the counter when an idea came to mind, one that made me nervous and all kinds of anxious again but one that would probably work the best. After going through my typical routine of handing in the wallet I ordered three drinks instead of just one, heading back into the street and mapping out the route to Jules' office in my mind. It'd only take me twenty, maybe thirty minutes at most, and I made it to the stop just as the bus arrived before I leapt aboard.

Holding the tray kept from revealing the tremble in my fingers and as I arrived down the street from the building I talked myself through what I was going to say, what I'd do if he reacted positively or negatively and took a deep breath once I walked through the doors. I'd done a coffee run for Jules many a time and while it wasn't busy in here I was a little surprised by the sight of wreaths and a tree bedecked with red and gold ornaments in the corner of the room. Duh, Nova. It's Christmas this week.

"Well this is a surprise—" Jules chirped as I approached and I plucked one of the cups from the tray to hand to her, her eyebrow shooting up curiously at the last two.

"U-Um, I was wondering if you could direct me to which floor Kane worked on," I said softly, her soft almond eyes glittering with mirth as she smiled, "the longer I wait the less likely I am to pull my head out of my ass and act like an adult."

"Twelfth, hang a left at the front desk, he's all the way at the corner in front of the window." She slapped a visitor's pass down on the table between us and I looped it around my neck. "He's in a piss-poor mood, just an FYI. The bark's worse than the bite though if you're serious."