22. Wedding bells

It was light by the time we actually started walking toward the Capitol and I was trying to keep my eyes on the ground, the glare hurting my head even worse. I probably have a concussion. I could taste blood from somewhere and hoped he didn't knock a tooth loose; when I did look up I noticed members of the Guard casting not only inquisitive glances toward me but at Kristoff while he led the charge. Clearly he'd never disclosed that he used to be friends with Travelers and the fact that I'd slipped that King tidbit in there probably wasn't sitting well with them either.

The closer I looked at him the more I realized he really wasn't that battle-worn like Asher and Nova. He walked with a languid stride that spoke of special treatment while the soldiers around me all stood at attention, carrying themselves like they'd seen the tides of war for themselves. I'm sure they had. Kabala strode beside him and beyond that as he moved his cloak aside I could see a sword at his belt that was familiar to me, one I'd wielded before: a rapier. A plan hatched in my head but as we actually approached the city my stomach dropped.

Armed soldiers walked along the top of a reinforced brick wall, the gate lifted high into the air to allow us entry and in the middle of the city itself was a tall, glistening castle made entirely out of crystal. Perched beside the gates though were more tall raven statues, made of onyx and staring menacingly at all who entered. She really had taken this bird thing pretty far.

I swallowed hard, attempting to get a good look around the city itself and realizing a few things: the first was that there was no music, no sound other than mutters and whispers that passed along the citizens. The second was that the only familiars I saw were walking beside their handlers with us, not a single citizen carrying their own artifact, which lead me to my third conclusion; these people looked half-dead, exhausted and starved, the light gone from their eyes as I'm sure their familiars were killed before them. This was far from the city I once knew, filled with life and love, warmth and festivals where girls danced in dresses like Jules' and boys showed off for their attention. This was a wasteland of memories long forgotten and people much the same. Even the warm summer sun couldn't cut through the gray haze that permeated the empty streets.

"Kane, what's your pin?"

I straightened as a female voice whispered in my ear but a squeeze on my hand told me not to make a big deal out of it. He hadn't said my name so she must've known Asher or Nova, I thought, knowing the voice wasn't Freya's. She sounded Terran, actually. In response I flashed one finger behind my back, then two, then a repeat. Having my own birthday as my passcode was pretty damn helpful right now if she had a good idea on how to get us out of this.

"Got it. Give me your number, too."

I flashed my fingers, grateful that all ten digits only required one hand. It kept me distracted long enough not to notice that we were approaching the castle but the apprehension finally washed over me; more stone birds stared down at us while we walked up the steps and to the large, barred wooden doors that were opened to allow us inside. Torch light flickered against crystal walls, which I found odd considering Nova's electricity at home but I realized that the ban on traveling might've been a ban on Terran technology, too. The place wasn't entirely made of quartz, I noted, dark dashes within the walls throwing off a shine as I passed by. Pyrite, maybe? Really I was still trying to distract myself, the silence in these halls striking me with unease while the soldiers all stared straight ahead, the same lifeless eyes as the citizens outside hidden behind their helmets. I realized now why I might've terrified Nova so much all those years ago.

Kristoff halted and waved a number of the guards off while the rest followed in after him. The same black rug that sprawled through the hallway ran through the throne room, ending at the base of a stepped platform where three thrones sat, all made of the same crystal as the castle itself, cloudy and pearlescent that carried darker veins within. In the one to the Queen's left was a familiar figure, no longer in armor but dressed in a red gown with her hair pulled back in some kind of decorated bun; Freya perched in her seat with an austere posture but the moment her eyes locked with mine I caught a hint of remorse that didn't matter much to me now. The one on the right must've belonged to Kristoff and he bowed, her Majesty Queen Ravyn Silverwood languishing with a regal air that seemed all too forced. Someone stood behind her though, a large, cloaked figure whose face I couldn't see, but I sure as hell could feel their eyes staring back at me.