27. Head start

After the tearful explanations and greetings we finally moved back out to the living room, finding Asher and Jules on the ground and talking while Sassy gave Jules puppy eyes, listening as Jude snored contentedly on the couch. I smacked him a little to wake him up and finished what was left of his drink for him so he wouldn't spill it on the carpet, turning in time to watch Scylla run out and crouch to pet the dog excitedly.

"Puppy!" She giggled, "I haven't seen one of you in ages!"

"Chose to let her in on the know after all?" Asher asked and I nodded.

"Good that means I can tell you directly, you should bring Sass into the vet here soon, she's feeling sick when she eats," Jules started, "just tell them she's been puking. She knows she's old, could be simple as a diet change but I'm no vet."

"Wait, so you're like them?" Mom asked.

"I was born in Alchemilla but I chose to stay in Terra. Not big into magic like those two are but if I'd gone to school I probably would've become a Beast Master." Jules flashed a grin and rubbed behind Sassy's ears while the dog closed her eyes. "Oh you are just the sweetest thing, too bad Fen isn't here or I'm sure you'd be friends."

"He'd take up this whole damn room," Asher chuckled, "I have a familiar like Nova but for the moment he's out of commission. We er, all got into a big mess at the Capitol yesterday with my sister."

"Is that the bad day you needed a drink after?" Mom arched an eyebrow at me and I nodded.

"For all intents and purposes, I'm technically not supposed to be going over there because the Queen— his sister— banned Traveling but I didn't know that until he found me," I said sheepishly as I rubbed the back of my head, "we uh, all got caught yesterday by the Guard."

"No, you two got caught by the Guard and I had to come to the rescue," Nova started with a pointed stare, "they both got roughed up good but healing magic exists, or else they'd both have black eyes."

"Kane Merrick what the hell have I told you about getting into fights—"

Jude and Jules cackled at that one while I groaned into my hand, listening to the uproar around me and shaking my head, "it's okay, I stole his sword on the way out after breaking his nose. I think I won this one."

"I cannot believe you," she sighed and shook her head as she looked between all of us, "you're all a part of this, then? Magic and alternate dimensions?"

"Not me, I'm just the radio guy," Jude snorted, "Nova's house is awesome though."

I pulled my phone out and handed it over to her, forgetting all about the fact that I had pictures and letting her swipe through them while she had an excited, curious smile perched on her lips. "Holy hell, the sky really is orange— oh, is this you Asher? It has to be, no one else is that tall."

"Yes and that's Fenrir in the back with his damn legs in the air." Asher got to his feet to come see. "I'm glad to see you got the new phone by the way."

"Well considering Kris smashed my old one when he kicked me I kind of had to," I said bitterly as I turned to Nova, "that reminds me, I've got a present for you at the apartment. If you guys want to swing by for a while tomorrow you can, or I can come over there."

"No—!" Scylla grabbed my hand suddenly. "I want to try the fight game!"

"Oh dear, seems Jude will have a playmate in the morning," Nova laughed to herself, "we'll come by when everyone's up."

"Hey you two, go stand in front of the tree," Mom called out suddenly, "your camera is way better than mine, I want some pictures!"

I groaned playfully but did as she asked, wandering over to the tree and watching as Nova tentatively came to join me. She shifted around like she wasn't sure how to stand and I cracked a cheekier grin as I pulled her into my side, feeling her grip the back of my shirt while Mom snapped a few shots. We all traded places, took turns, and finally when she was done we started packing up to head out for the night. Scylla didn't want to leave Sassy and it made me laugh as Nova finally picked her up to carry her out like a petulant child while she said her goodbyes. I stayed for a few moments longer after tossing Jude the keys and held Mom tighter than usual as she did the same.