Chapter 8: Panic in the Sky

3rd POV

As Pyrrha and Penny's match began to get underway, Ruby and (Y/N) were both stuck dealing with their unexpected opponents.

Ruby: Mercury, what are you doing? You were hurt! Why... *narrows eyes* What's going on?

Mercury doesn't answer, still grinning with malice.

Ruby: Fine. If you're not going to tell me...

(Y/N): RUBY DON'T!!

(Y/N) was too late as she attempted to move around him, but he blocks her path, then does it again when she sidesteps.

Oobleck: Fighters, are you ready?

Mercury smirks. (Y/N) and Allie were still having their staredown. While (Y/N) kept a stoic but annoyed expression, Allie was grinning like a maniac. (Y/N) switches Heart and Soul to katana mode but makes sure to never keep his eyes off of her.

Oobleck: 3, 2, 1... BEGIN!

Mercury: Showtime.

He goes forward, blocking Ruby's path with his arms outstretched, restraining her movements no matter where she moves. Panicked, she grimaces and spins forward, becoming a blur of red and petals rocketing toward Mercury, only for the villain to kick her twice mid-dash with Talaria and knock her to the ground. He advances on her just as she gets out her scroll, about to push the button to call for help when a bullet sends the device flying out of her hand.

Mercury: *lowering his leg from its kick* Let's just keep this between us friends.

Back with (L/N) siblings, (Y/N) rushes her and the two blades and large scythe clash with both of them fighting for the upper hand. (Y/N) goes in for a low sweep but Allie jumps back just in time and regains her footing. She then charges at (Y/N) who makes an attempt to block her attack but instead gets sent flying into the wall. She brings her scythe up to his throat and pins him to the wall.

(Y/N): You've gotten...*grunts*...stronger since Mountain Glenn.

Allie: Oh believe me....*grinns and laughs like a psychopath*...I'M JUST GETTING WARMED UP!!

She grabs (Y/N) by his shirt and throws him back deeper into the service tunnel. (Y/N) switches Heart and Soul back to their gun mode and opens fire on his sister. A few hits manage to make contact with their target, which causes Allie to rear back for a moment before blocking the rest with her massive scythe. She charges straight at him and the two once again become locked in a stalemate between their blades.

Allie: IT'S ALMOST TIIMMMEEE!

(Y/N): *mutters to himself* Shit. I'm running out of time....

Ruby attempts to block a kick from Mercury with her arms, but gets a face-full of boot. Next he fires a shot but she manages to duck then barely misses being hit by his downward kick and leaps over his leg, spiraling past him, this time getting much father down the corridor. She kicks off of the wall and falls to the ground, pumping her arms as she runs for the exit.

In the arena, Pyrrha spins wildly as she deflects and dodges each sword, until she gets close enough to Penny to deliver a few slashes with the spear, sending her flying back as Pyrrha bats aside the blades called to their wielder's aid. Penny slides to a stop and makes a new series of motions, the weapons folding up until she's circled by several laser rifles, a few of which open fire on the approaching champion. Pyrrha avoids the blasts and fights off the remaining swords with her blade until she slides into position to charge at Penny and knock her back. Pyrrha straightens with a victorious grin that disappears into dizziness, just as she sees Penny rocketing forward, weapons firing behind her like a jetpack so she can leap into the air, then come down as an energized meteor on her opponent.