Chapter 11

Chapter 11. Cady.

Cady was sitting in study hall when she was called up to the office. Her teacher dismissed her nicely and Cady slowly walked to the office. She hated being called up to the office. Deeply, utterly despised it. When she finally arrived at the office entrance, she looked through the tall, narrow window on the door.  She saw Kellin sitting on one of the chairs with his head in his hands, slumped over. He was trembling and she could hear sobbing sounds. Kellin was crying. Kellin was Kellin, he barely cried. He had to have been hurt pretty bad to have been sobbing the way he was. Especially in a place where everyone could see him. Something was wrong, very wrong.

Cady slowly turned the knob and pushed the door. She walked in and asked the lady behind the desk kindly, "You called me up?" The lady motioned toward Kellin.

"He told us you were a witness." the lady said in a soft voice.

"A witness? To what?" Cady asked confused as the guidance counselor walked up the corridor and into the office.

"Good, you're here." she smiled at Cady. Putting a gentle, wrinkly hand on Kellin's shoulder she added, "Would you both like to come into my office?" She looked back and forth between the two. Cady nodded and followed her as Kellin slowly got out of the chair, still shaking.

They turned into the brightly colored office. The guidance counselor, Mrs. Whynn, closed the door, sat down, and adjusted her glasses before she spoke gently, "Cady, are you aware of what's happened?"

Cady couldn't stop looking at Kellin's red face, he was still crying. She shook her head no and Mrs. Whynn nodded. "What happened? Why am I a witness? What am I a witness to?" Questions flowed out of Cady like a river. There were so many questions up in the air, none of which had answers.

Kellin looked up at Cady with sad eyes. Mrs. Whynn sighed and finally spoke. "Kellin's house... Part of it's burned down." Cady couldn't believe what she was hearing. She looked at Kellin as her lip began to quiver.

"H-How? Is everyone okay? Wh-What?" Cady's cheeks started to blush as warm tears rolled down them when Mrs. Whynn shook her head no.

"Kellin's mother... Is in the hospital. The Intensive Care Unit. She-She's holding on for her life." Kellin couldn't hold it in. He let out a big sob as he slumped to the floor.

Cady knew how close Kellin was to his mother. She fell to her knees on the floor next to him. She picked up his head and rested it in her lap. Kellin was trembling. Cady stroked the black-dyed hair on Kellin's head that wasn't stuck to his face, caught in the tears that never stopped coming.

Cady saw Mrs. Whynn wipe the tears from her cheeks out of the corner of her eyes. "Kellin told me that you were with him when the reason of the fire was started. He wanted you to be here." Cady kissed the top of Kellin's head. Cady started to think about what could have possibly started the fire. Then, it hit her. They were going to have toast with their breakfast this morning. They never got to eat the toast, Kellin must have left the toaster plugged in. Kellin could have possibly killed his mother. She was everything to him, he was everything to her. Cady felt her stomach drop as she started to sob harder.

"I don't want to make you two continue the school day. Would you like to go home?" Mrs. Whynn asked. Kellin sobbed still, knowing he only had half of a home that was probably surrounded my firemen.

"I-I don't exactly have a home." he managed, with his head still in Cady's lap.

"Maybe you could come to my house?" Cady asked as she looked over his head and at his face. A little tear rolled down her nose and landed perfectly in the center of Kellin's cheek. Neither of them wiped it away. As a new wave of Kellin's tears picked it up and carried it away with them. He looked at her, his icy blue eyes twinkled. They looked like small, round blue lily pads floating in a pond of clear tears. "Beautiful." She whispered in his ear and he smiled, despite his endless tears.

They picked eachother up off the floor and they hobbled out to the office and Cady punched in her home number. Her dad picked up, "Hello?" He answered.

Cady swallowed the lump in her throat and croaked, "Hey, daddy. It's Cady, something terrible's happened..."