🄿🅁🄾🄻🄾🄶🅄🄴

"Uncle Klaus, who was the Original Tribrid?" a young girl, not older than eight, asked. 

The man looked up from his daughter to his niece, his eyes gleaming with sadness as they fell upon the memory she held in her tiny hands. He remembered that woman, he had never even forgotten who she was, no one was able to. She had always made such an impact on the people she crossed path with, no matter if they knew her name or not. 

"A powerful woman," Klaus Mikaelson, a man people thought of as the Great Evil, responded. "She was like you and Hope once: Possessing a magic no one else had, the whole world afraid of her."

"What's her story?" the young girl inquired. Klaus smiled at her question, glad to have his niece interested in a woman she was related to. 

"A thousand years ago, when our family was still human, she entered my life. She was my age, and grew old until she was twenty-five, before immortality hit her," Klaus told the curious girl. "She and I became closer as the years passed, you know how those stories go, but, five centuries later, a sickness only Tribrids can get infected by poisoned her pure heart."

The girl's smile dropped, her hopes for a happy ending flying away. "What happened?"

Klaus sighed sadly, staring at his newborn daughter. "The sickness won, despite everything we tried to do to keep her alive. I came back from looking for the cure to her letting out her last breath. Her rosy lips were the first to turn grey, then her body followed. The memory still haunts me today, I can never escape it."

 "She d-died?" his niece gasped, her eyes holding fear. "Why did we never hear about this? And why couldn't she survive? My mum always told me love wins over anything."

It broke the man's heart to have ruined the pretty dreams the girl had made for herself. And he knew, by the way she asked why the woman didn't survive, that she feared for her own life. He posed his daughter on her blanket on the ground before crouching down in front of his niece. 

"Your mum is right, little Moon," Klaus corrected himself. "And she didn't die, her story lives as I tell you about it. Love does always win, but sometimes it must make sacrifices in order to live on."

"But when you die, don't you go in the stars? That's what abuelita told me," the girl reminded, and Klaus found himself conflicted on how to explain her the truth about Death for people who weren't like her father's side of the family. 

He inhaled deeply. "Your grandmother is right, in a way. Shadowhunters do go in the stars, their soul floating for eternity. But, for us, Downworlders, it's different. Either we survive and come back, or we go on the other side. Over there, we protect our loved ones, survey them and make sure they are living without us."

It was a needed lie. She still had dreams, she was still young, and she couldn't know the truth of what awaited her. 

"Then, what was her name?"

"Solana, the Original Tribrid."

⁓⁓⁓

"I always awaited Death since I learned the truth about myself. My heart has been poisoned by a curse stronger than any source of magic, and I realized it just can't be cured. It isn't so bad, though, because now I live every day as if it was the last. So this is the reason why I'm asking you to choose, Scott, because I can't spend another day hoping for you to finally return the love I'm giving you."

Luna Calavera, the Hunter Tribrid