xiv. RUNES THAT DON'T WORK

⋆ ˚ 。⋆ ✧ ⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼ ✧ ⋆ 。˚ ⋆

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: RUNES THAT DON'T WORK

❛you don't deserve that pain.❜

⋆ ✧ ⋆

⋆  ✧  ⋆

"Zoya!"

The raven-haired girl almost chuckled at the way her parabatai breathed out her name, as if it were the force that kept her alive. Her hand seized Zoya's extended one as she allowed herself to be pulled up by her parabatai. Emma's arms were wrapped around Zoya's torso almost instantaneously, nearly making the Caldwell girl lose grip on Lazarus and stumble to the side.

"I am glad to see you, too, Em," Zoya replied swiftly, "but we have more Mantid demons to send back home."

"How did you-"

Before Emma Carstairs got a chance to finish her question, a red car burst from the rocky road and onto the clearing they were in. Toyota's bright lights illuminated the battle field, nearly blinding the Mantid demons.

On the car's roof, with a crossbow firmly held in his hand, kneeled Julian. He aimed his weapon toward the demons that surrounded Mark, shooting repeatedly and wiping out the demonic population with his runed arrows.

"Can't have Jules stealing all our fun, can we?" Zoya's head snapped in Emma's direction, a contagious smile plastered on her lips.

The blonde's eyes mirrored her parabatai's determination, Cortana and Lazarus ready to feed on the Mantid demons' flesh. In sync, Emma and Zoya ran toward the clearing, pushing their limbs until they felt the burning spreading through them.

Cristina Rosales was driving the car, drifting across the field and making the demons scatter around. Such a strategy gave Mark Blackthorn enough time to jump from a rock he was cornered to and drive his blade into the demon's head.

Even from a great distance, Zoya noticed the dark red stains that were speckled across the boy's clothes. However, as Mark's opponent morphed into a pool of sticky ichor, the boy's knees buckled beneath him, sending him to the wet grass. Instantaneously, his weapon flew across the ground.

"Jules!" Zoya screamed from the top of her lungs, heart hammering as she spotted another Mantid which rushed for a weaponless Mark. Cristina was already opening the window of the car, gaze frightened as she noticed the demon's intentions.

"Zo, throw," Emma instructed from the girl's side. The blonde had known there was no way for them to reach Mark in time, but the brilliant idea came out of nowhere. As adrenaline kicked in and the newfound closeness of her parabatai, a wave of new energy and motivation burst inside Emma; they were going to win.