eight

Millie and Y/N sat in Etnacoffee for three hours, sipping absentmindedly on our drinks as we talked about this and that, anything of interest. As they were in public alone, they both were wearing large sunglasses, and Millie paired hers with a long blonde wig (which Y/N thought was funnily excessive) whereas Y/N sported a large, floppy sunhat. No one had noticed them as their true selves, that they knew of, so they sat quietly in the corner of the coffee shop, not paying much attention to anyone else as they were doing the same. Y/N ended up telling Millie was was going on between Oscar and her, and Millie replied much how she had expected.

"That boy needs to get his bloody act together," she had said, glaring off into the distance as though Oscar was standing there. "Sounds completely like his problem. You've clearly done nothing."

"But that's the thing," Y/N mumbled back, "what if I have?"

"Oh, no, no, no," Millie said back fiercely, "you are not about to blame this on yourself."

Y/N opened her mouth to reply but was cut off by Millie holding her hand up and making an "ah ah ah" sound.

"Y/N," she said, grasping her hand over the table, "I can't tell you why Oscar is being a dickhead but I do know that it is not your fault. And if he doesn't back up his ideas soon he's going to loose a goddess of a woman."

Y/N's tummy glowed. dMillie always had just the right words to make her feel alright, whether they were as simple as "it's okay" or as a whole essay on how amazing she was. Y/N nodded as Millie smiled and squeezed her hand. Millie's phone buzzed.

"Oh," she exclaimed, picking it up and squinting at the screen, before squealing and looking excitably back up at Y/N. "Your surprise is here!"

Y/N furrowed her brow and cocked her head as Millie shot up out of her seat and offered out her hand. "Surprise?" she questioned, taking her best friend's hand and allowing herself to be lead across the coffee shop and out of the front door.

They were out on the busy Baker's Street, making Y/N a little anxious as she pulled her sunhat down a little further, and Millie peered back at her phone before tugging Y/N down the street and crossing over to the other side.

"Millie," Y/N said as they continued down the bustling pavements, "where are we going?"

"All in good time, my pet," Millie replied.

They didn't walk for much longer, a couple of minutes at most before Millie halted to a sudden stop and Y/N bumped into her.

"What?" Y/N said, darting her attention around the street they had stopped at. "Why have we stopped?"

"Because of your surprise, dummy," Millie said obviously, rolling her eyes and giving Y/N a slightly judgemental side look.

"What surprise?" Y/N cried. "I don't see a surprise."

"For god's sake," Millie muttered under her breath as she marched over and stood behind Y/N, pointing her finger across the street. "There."

Y/N followed the direction of her finger, squinting across the street to see a tall, brunette figure leaning against the wall, his hands dug into his pockets as he glanced absentmindedly around. She recognised him immediately.

"Louis," Y/N spoke softly.

It was surreal to Y/N to see the boy, who for over a month you have only ever seen through a laptop or phone screen, standing just twenty metres away, surveying his surroundings so calmly. He looked irritatingly attractive, dressed in an open-collared, sky blue shirt and a pair of mid-wash, straight jeans, and with his hair messily flopping over his forehead. Y/N closed her eyes for a moment, anxiety suddenly coursing through her veins. What if it's awkward? She thought feebly to herself. We've only every seen each other online and even though it wasn't awkward then it could be now. She let out a shaky breath and gave a small start when Millie took her gently by her arm, making her open her eyes and turn to her.