Chapter 26: The Key to Chess

"What do you mean, Keys?" Hermione asked as Ron and Harry squinted up at them.

"Check the door," Jason told them. "One of the keys must match the lock and I'm sure ... there!" He spotted two broomsticks on the far side of the camber.

"Does that mean?" Harry said thoughtfully, "we have to catch the key to the door? But there are hundreds of them! Which one do we choose."

Ron examined the lock on the door.

"We're looking for a big, old-fashioned one - probably silver, like the handle."

"How do we go about this?" Hermione asked. "There's only two brooms, so it seems obvious that Harry and Jason should be the ones going after the key, but there has to be more to the trial. They'll probably attack when we find the right key, or maybe even when we get on the brooms."

"Harry, you'll go for the key," Jason said. "I'll run interference. When they go for you, I'll block them until we get the door open. Once it's open, all of you get through, and once I'm through slam the door shut."

"That's putting you in too much danger," Harry protested.

"You're the seeker, and I'm the chaser. A chaser's main job is the score points, but everyone on the team has a second job, keeping the seeker safe."

Without leaving time for Harry to respond, Jason walked over to the brooms and grabbed one. The keys started to move in Jason's direction. He quickly let go of the broom and the keys continued flying around the room.

"We can't really see the key like this, but probably won't be coming after us on the brooms," Jason said. "It'll probably try to stay out of reach. Harry, don't get on your broom until you spot the key. Once you see it get on and grab it quickly. I'll keep the keys moving around the room so it thins out in some places. That should let you see more and find the right key."

Jason grabbed a broom and pushed up into the air.

The keys instantly started to chase after him. He tried to stay in front of them, but there were so many that he couldn't outrun them all. He tried to use one arm to knock keys away from his face, but that left the rest of his body exposed.

They jammed against his body and scrapped his arms, chest, stomach, and back. They felt like cold daggers slicing across his body. Jason gritted his teeth and bared it. He knew that only a minute had passed, but it felt like an eternity when Harry called out that he saw the key. To his side, Jason saw Harry rocket up into the air after the key.

Some of the keys started to peel off from chasing Jason and went after Harry. Before they reached him, Jason pulled up on his broom and got between them and Harry. Jason flew in formation with Harry, using his body to block the keys as they chased after Harry.

Eventually, the key that Harry was chasing made a dive and Harry followed after it. He reached out his hand and grabbed the key. Once Harry had the key in hand, he flew straight for the door and jumped off his broom. Jason continued to fly back and forth, blocking all the keys that went for Harry as he fiddled with the lock.

Once Harry unlocked the door, Ron and Hermione pulled it open and rushed through.

"It's open! Come on!" Harry yelled as he rushed through the door.

Jason flew towards the open door and just before reaching it, he jumped off his broom.

The ground was cold, as Jason crashed against it and slid a few feet. Behind him, Jason heard Harry, Ron, and Hermione slam the door shut. A moment later he heard some of the keys slam against the closed door.