Chapter 20: Study Session

It was a school record. There had never been as quick a Quidditch match in Hogwarts history. Seeing the golden snitch in Harry's hand, Jason let the void slip away from around him and was greeted with a round of explosive cheering from the stands. The only section of the stands that was completely quiet was the Slytherin section, as even some of the Hufflepuff students were cheering at the historic match. By the time Jason reached the ground the rest of the Gryffindor team was already there, and Gryffindors were spilling onto the field. Looking around, Jason spotted Snape landing. His face was completely white, with his lips drawn into a tight line. Dumbledore was on the field now and walking towards Harry. Snape spotted him and spat bitterly on the ground.

The ending of the match was a whirlwind of excitement. The entire team was lifted up onto the shoulders of their fellow Gryffindors as students from the other houses, except Slytherin, also came onto the field to celebrate. Even the members of the Hufflepuff team came to see them and congratulate them on their victory.

Once the celebration on the field had died down, the Gryffindor team went back to the locker room. As they changed out of their Quidditch robes, everyone had wide smiles on their faces, especially Wood who for once found himself unable to say a word. They quickly changed as the team was eager to get to the post-match party, but as they were about to leave the locker room, Jason looked over and saw that Harry hadn't even started to change.

"You'd better hurry up," Jason said, approaching Harry. "Everyone's waiting for you. We can't head to the party without the guest of honor."

Harry snapped to attention. He had been staring into space the whole time.

"We should probably just leave him be," Fred said coming up behind Jason.

"Let him soak up his victory," George added.

"Not every day you catch the Snitch in record time. Gotta give him time to savor it," Fred finished.

"Ok. See you later, Harry," said Jason as he followed Fred and George out of the locker room.

They made their way towards the castle, but Jason was stopped as soon as they made it into the entrance hall.

"That was a great game," Frederick called out from across the hall where he was standing with Quinn and Harper. "Congratulations to all of you."

"Go ahead without me," Jason told the rest of the team. "I'm gonna talk to them for a while."

"That game was outrageous!" Harper exclaimed as soon as the rest of the Gryffindor team was out of earshot. "Who heard of a game that short. It has to be against the rules."

"I didn't realize you were that invested in Quidditch," Jason replied, shocked at Harper's outburst.

Harper opened his mouth to reply.

"He's not." Frederick cut him off. "He fell asleep in Herbology and Professor Sprout gave him detention today. Since today's match was such a big deal to Hufflepuff she said she was willing to let the detention go during the match. Because it ended so quickly, she told him he has to go to detention now."

"Sprout told me to meet her in the greenhouse in half an hour," Harper said. "She's gonna make me spend the rest of the day caring for the plants."

Jason couldn't stop himself from laughing.

"It's not funny," Harper pouted.

"A five-minute match isn't against the rules," Quinn spoke up. "The shortest match ever was in 1921 when Roderick Plumpton of the Tutshill Tornados caught the Snitch in three and a half seconds in a match against the Caerphilly Catapults."