Chapter 9: Flying Lessons

"Congratulations Alica," Jason shook her hand once again.

"Thanks, I look forward to working with you," she replied.

All of the students that had been trying out left the quidditch pitch, turning in their borrowed brooms to Fred and George on their way out. Once the pitch had been cleared Wood called the Gryffindor team together. Wood explained that this season he's determined to win the Quidditch Cup, so he's expecting all of the team members to give their all in every match as well as training. He told them that he would let them all know when the first official team practice would take place after he figured out what they would do about a seeker. As Wood dismissed the team Fred and George approached Jason.

"Great show there Jason," Fred started.

"You showed them," George continued.

"No one could keep up with our little celebrity," finished Fred.

"I'm not a celebrity," Jason replied annoyed. "But thanks, I'm looking forward to playing with you guys." The twins each gave him a pat on the back and took the school broom back from him, making their way to return it to the broom closet.

"Congratulations Mr. Fortescue," The stern yet kind voice of Professor McGonagall sounded behind him. "Now that you are officially a member of the Gryffindor Quidditch team you will be allowed to bring your broom to school. I would recommend you write home as soon as possible to have them send it."

"Thank you, Professor, I'll do that when I'm done with lessons today.

"Well then, you'd better get going, I believe you have a flying lesson starting soon," She smiled at him. "Not that you need it."

Jason rushed across the castle grounds heading for the wide-open lawn on the opposite side of the castle where flying lessons would be taking place. As he approached he could see two groups of people. One was standing on a flat portion of the lawn, and the other was approaching them from the castle. Recognizing Harry, Ron, and the other Gryffindor first years in the second group,he made his way towards them.

"How did it go?" Ron called out when he noticed Jason approaching.

"Good," Jason replied. "I made the team, but they weren't able to pick a new seeker." Jason's response was met with a chorus of congratulations from his fellow Gryffindor first-years. Ron was beaming, and Harry was wearing a broad smile.

"What happens next?" Harry asked. "What do they do about not being able to find a seeker?"

"They're gonna run another round of tryouts to try to find one."

Their group reached the waiting Slytherins who all seemed pretty upset at being kept waiting. Around the feet of the Slytherins were rows of brooms that they would be using for the lesson. Great, Jason thought to himself. More school brooms.

Their teacher, Madam Hooch, arrived. She had short, gray hair, and yellow eyes like a hawk.

"Well, what are you all waiting for?" she barked. "Everyone stand by a broomstick. Come on, hurry up."

Jason picked out a stable looking broom from the ones scattered on the ground and stood beside it. The broom looked more beaten up than the one he had used for tryouts, but it still looked to be one of the best of the bunch.

"Stick out your right hand over your broom," called Madam Hooch at the frog, "and say 'UP!'"

"UP!" everyone shouted.

Jason's broom immediately jumped into his hand, looking around he saw surprisingly few whose broom had done the same. Harry's was among the few who had gotten their broom on the first try. Among the Slytherins, only Malfoy and Silas had gotten their brooms. Looking around, Jason had seen that Ron's broom made it about halfway to his hand, whereas Hermione's broom had just turned over, and Neville's did not move at all. Jason could see why Neville wasn't able to get his broom to go to him, his voice was quavering, showing his fear of flying.